Turbo Spooling up at Idle
12-02-2019, (Subject: Turbo Spooling up at Idle ) 
Turbo Spooling up at Idle
I've some of my ISX questions on here over the past 6 weeks and need some more info. Since harvest has finished I've done a handful of things to my truck but have not needed to used it. i've replaced the IMAP and Delta-P sensors, rebuilt the fuel pump and installed an Amsoil Bypass oil filter. The truck is an ISX CM2350. I also had one of the great forum members here install a new calibration file upping the HP and torque from 450/1650 to 500/1850. The CPL on the engine is 3937 and the new file is for 3938.

I've moved the truck around the shop a few times since the cal file upgrade and notice that when the truck is idling the turbo sounds like its spooling up. If I bump the idle to 1030 it turbo quits doing it. It also slows down some after the engine is warmed up. Also, the fuel used when idling says its 1.6-1.7 gal/hr when idling 700 rpm and it drops to 1 gal/hr at 1030 rpm according to the trip computer. I've sprayed soapy water on all the fittings when its running and don't see any leaks.

Is this simply a function of the new calibration file? A result of the new sensors? Or a problem?
replyreply
RE: Turbo Spooling up at Idle
If it's still mandated it's creating low boost at idle to maintain heat in the aftertreatment, exh backpressure for the EGR. It's normal.

If it's been demanded... ??? not sure I wouldn't think that is normal. Mine doesn't.
replyreply
(12-02-2019 )Moose Wrote:  If it's still mandated it's creating low boost at idle to maintain heat in the aftertreatment, exh backpressure for the EGR. It's normal.

If it's been demanded... ??? not sure I wouldn't think that is normal. Mine doesn't.

It is still mandated.

I figured that was the case but I don't recall it doing this when I first got it. Since there are a gazillion posts on this forum about turbos I was a little paranoid! I'm taking it on a short trip tomorrow to pick up a new hopper bottom and wanted to make sure it was ok!
replyreply
What is the engine ser#?

and... What program is in it? Calibration EF100-????.?? does it show at the top of the window/title bar when looking at it in insite?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
SN 79634404

EF10045.34
replyreply
(12-02-2019 )Golfnut Wrote:  SN 79634404

EF10045.34

ef10045 is THE WRONG CALIBRATION for your truck. You have a 3937 CPL which is a 450HP truck. this needs to be fixed and you truly do want 500HP then have a EF10054 custom tuned and turned up for your truck. You cant just flash a 3937 to a 3938 and it all be good.

You are going to have issues
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Golfnut
(12-02-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  

EF10045.34

ef10045 is THE WRONG CALIBRATION for your truck. You have a 3937 CPL which is a 450HP truck. this needs to be fixed and you truly do want 500HP then have a EF10054 custom tuned and turned up for your truck. You cant just flash a 3937 to a 3938 and it all be good.

I sent you a PM.
replyreply
12-03-2019, (Subject: Turbo Spooling up at Idle ) 
(12-02-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  

EF10045.34

Your information matches exactly what the stored ECM images that I have saved on my laptop show.
replyreply
12-03-2019, (Subject: Turbo Spooling up at Idle ) 

EF10045.34

I just compared the 2 calibrations.

EF10054.xx (what is supposed to be in his truck).
vs.
EF10045.xx (the one in there currently, is incorrect).

here is what I found...

* CAC settings are very different. - the truck will suffer fuel and other efficiency losses + contribute towards emissions issues. This will also cause the turbo to over-work itself and surge. This has nothing to do with the HP differences.

* Your truck has an intake air throttle. -- the program that was put in has it turned off / diasbled. - this is going to cause the intake throttle body to randomly close.. leading to the engine shutting down randomly with no warning, and may even make it not run at all at some point in its future.

* The SCR and DPF settings and can sizes are not compatible with the programming that was put in the engine. - This is going to make the truck suffer SCR and other emissions problems.

* The program you are supposed to have, since it is for a smaller SCR and DPF element, does not require the turbo to spool up and scream like hell after cranking the truck,.. in the EF10045 (wrong) program, the SCR element size is much bigger, and requires the turbo to choke the engine and warm it up rapidly for it to function properly. -- This is exactly why your turbo is now screaming its arsse off at idle, where it did not do this so much before. - This will also lead to a lot of other smaller issues down the road like turbo over-working itself, a lot of excess fuel consumption at idle, difficulty during the regen process, and exhaust running hotter than it should all the time.

-- All in all,.. SOMEONE SCREWED UP!!! --- THESE 2 PROGRAMS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE -- AND THIS IS A NICE EXAMPLE OF WHY A PERSON HAS TO ABSOLUTELY BE CAREFUL OF WHAT PROGRAM SOMEONE PUTS INTO THESE NEWER ENGINES!!!

Here is a why this is such an issue, and what people need to know about this kind of thing...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1&pid=1#pid1

========================

The only proper way to place that engine/truck at 500+ HP, 1850 torque is to use the original program that goes in the truck, and change the power/torque settings in it directly (custom programming). there is no factory program that is comparable with that engine/truck on its own that will get it to those power levels.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.