Overshot's Blog
07-15-2016, (Subject: Overshot's Blog ) 
RE: Overshot's Blog
(07-12-2016 )overshot Wrote:  This is my 1st oil sample results.
How does it look to ya'll?
Looks pretty good to me except silicon(micro dust) may be a bit high. Maybe you have a dirty air cleaner or a small air leak or something.
Do you have a sample to compare it to? I've seen it higher but 2 or 3 is where it should be. At least that's where mine is constantly at.
Also, I've seen iron way higher but on a truck that has mandate removed, it will be around 3 as well along with copper.
replyreply
07-16-2016, (Subject: Overshot's Blog ) 
(07-15-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 )overshot Wrote:  This is my 1st oil sample results.
How does it look to ya'll?
Looks pretty good to me except silicon(micro dust) may be a bit high. Maybe you have a dirty air cleaner or a small air leak or something.
Do you have a sample to compare it to? I've seen it higher but 2 or 3 is where it should be. At least that's where mine is constantly at.
Also, I've seen iron way higher but on a truck that has mandate removed, it will be around 3 as well along with copper.

i change the air filter every time i the pm done. the places i load and unload are sometimes very dusty. and with the air filter under the hood the engine fan just pushes all that dirt in the engine compartment
replyreply
07-17-2016, (Subject: Overshot's Blog ) 
Maybe try changing the filter every second or third oil change, or at least jist take em out an bang the dist off or vacuum it or something. I've always heard a new filter will let in more dirt then and older filter. I can't remember the full explanation right now maybe someone else can fill in the holes, but it has something. Too do with a new filter has a bunch of tiny holes in the media for the small stuff to get through but overtime bigger dort plugs those tiny holes and the small dort can't get through anymore but air still can, well up until the point the filter is completely clogged anyway.
replyreply
08-22-2016, (Subject: Overshot's Blog ) 
This is my latest oil sample. I think it sucks.
Any opinions?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  report.pdf (Size: 165.67 KB / Downloads: 77)
replyreply
Doesn't really suck, but with the aluminum being up, and the potassium going up, I'm thinking possibly an oil cooler is on its first stages of leaking............especially between sample dates being so close together.

Just my two cents...

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
Yep, that's a possibility. But I'm loosing about a gallon of coolant per month (12000 miles). But that could partly be an external that I can't see ir find any sign of.
I'm at Mr. Hagg's so I'm sure we'll figure it out.
But I will still appreciate any and all feedback.
God bless cummins
replyreply
Been doing some Google research. From what I'm piecing together I probably have an internal coolant. Which has increased the potassium and boron. Put that together with the blowby I now have, which I didn't have a few weeks ago and boom that drives the TBN way down.

Of course I don't know that the blowby is terribly bad. But I can see the smoke coming from the filler tube. And a few weeks ago I couldn't.
replyreply
08-23-2016, (Subject: Overshot's Blog ) 
Here's what I see. Potassium and sodium spike.
Look for coolant leak. Is it using coolant ? Aluminum could be bearings but I doubt it because it's still a pretty low ppm bUT if coolant were going in the oil than it would wash the bearings and cylinders.
When my oil cooler failed at 660,000 miles, I had a spike in potassium and sodium and iron as well.
Iron is a bit high but nowhere near danger levels. I like to see it at 4 or less with mandate removed but I've seen it at over 200 + on a stock truck.
Not trying to scare you but I had copper and aluminum spike just befor my cam bushings let go. That turned into a inframe at 960,000 miles. Good luck friend.
replyreply
08-23-2016, (Subject: Overshot's Blog ) 
It will be hard to find if pressure test coolant cause you have only 40ppm of potassium. I had about 50ppm of potassium and didnt find when pressure test my coolant. But I found that my oil cooler big gasket was leaking oil and mixing oil with coolant abit. So I replaced oil cooler gasket and potassium is gone from oil analysis now.
This is 13000miles mobil delvac 15w40 oil sample on @m*m^2.
./uploads/201608/post_608_1471958126_fec555d6a4735ab1a488bd5fdb32b8a0.png
Btw ..I dont run bypass filter no soot in the oil.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.