Rear axle is soaked, need help...
12-06-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
Rear axle is soaked, need help...
Out there working on the truck, supposed to start new job on Monday... Went to check everything at the rear of the tractor, wiring, airlines etc... The rear axle housing is soaked with gear oil...

The wheel seals was my first thought, but after crawling under the truck it looks like the gear oil is coming out from under the boot where the driveshaft attaches to the diff... Here is a picture.

./uploads/201912/post_218_1575660371_462cce7791c30e4179d6e2f23f075307.jpg

Anyone run into this? Any ideas? When it rains it pours...

I'm thinking pinion seal?
replyreply
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help...
is the vent plugged? any vertical play in the input shaft?
replyreply
Vent looked good, no play, checked all of the bolts, all tight.
replyreply
Add any oil recently? Could've been overfilled maybe.
replyreply
No, had the truck serviced a few weeks ago, no oil added, looks pretty fresh down there...
replyreply
Can't pinpoint the leak with that muck covering everything. Degrease it till it's dry and go for a drive. Find a hill to put a load on the drive line.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
(12-06-2019 )DosGatos Wrote:  Can't pinpoint the leak with that muck covering everything. Degrease it till it's dry and go for a drive. Find a hill to put a load on the drive line.

I know, that muck is the gear oil... It looks to all start right under the dust cap and disperse out from there. The reason I am thinking pinion seal... But agree, need to power wash...
replyreply
Pressure wash it real good, drive a few miles and see xactly where its comin from.
replyreply
To dark to work on it tonight... Pretty sure it is that pinion seal, it is heaviest right there and then washes out from there, but will still clean it off and drive before tearing into it in case it is coming from the case itself... Anyone know the size of the input shaft nut and the torque specs? Anything special in regards to tools I will need to install that seal if it all checks out? Like a seal installer? Or just make my own? Never done one, but seen it done a few years ago up in the oil field...

My head is spinning right now, a lot going on and the clock is ticking...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.