Rear axle is soaked, need help...
12-06-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help...
200 ( what is pinon seal Alex)

I was told a guy should use a new crush washer every time , but I never have .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
No crush washer in my rear axle, one in the front though. Here is the pinion seal... https://fortwayneclutch.com/product/oil-...-rs945008/
replyreply
I think mine looks like that too!, but it isn't dripping, just looks smeared been that way for awhile though.

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply
You need to look at that, check the gear oil level in the box too... This just happened, it was not wet like this the other day. And the gear oil on both wheels, that was the tip off. brakes and linings are dry, everything starts under that dust cap at the yoke.
replyreply
When I had my rear rebuilt, I asked about the output yoke nut and got "we hit it until it stops turning". Torque spec is high, if I remember right, something like 700 lbs? Pretty sure supposed to use a new nut every time, they come with red loctite on them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-06-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  To dark to work on it tonight... Pretty sure it is that pinion seal, it is heaviest right there and then washes out from there, but will still clean it off and drive before tearing into it in case it is coming from the case itself... Anyone know the size of the input shaft nut and the torque specs? Anything special in regards to tools I will need to install that seal if it all checks out? Like a seal installer? Or just make my own? Never done one, but seen it done a few years ago up in the oil field...

My head is spinning right now, a lot going on and the clock is ticking...

Use a ratchet strap around the driveshaft and around the frame, then when you drop it, it doesn’t drop far. Your dust slinger is likely held on with four allen head bolts. You might have to use a puller on the yoke.

Seal drivers- get some different size ID/OD rings maybe 3/4” wall and 3/4” thick, and weld them one on either end of a short piece of pipe, 6” long or so. That way it fits around the pinion shaft yet still drives in the seal. So one could do 2-3” seals, the next could do 3-4”, that idea.

If the seal has a spring around the inside lip use grease or similar and pack that inner lip full to keep the spring in place.

Red loctite or a new nut, gun with a 3/4” impact gun until it’s “torqued” to spec

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
Did my pinion seal after it blew out during a week of below zero weather this last winter. Looked like your picture only worse.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
12-07-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
Just had to put a new input shaft seal on the front diff yesterday, I just got a shop to do it as I couldn't be bothered. Was my own fault for letting myself run with a wire out steady bearing for so long.... so we replaced that too!

How is your slip joint on your interaxle driveshaft? Any play?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-07-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
(12-07-2019 )Brock Wrote:  Just had to put a new input shaft seal on the front diff yesterday, I just got a shop to do it as I couldn't be bothered. Was my own fault for letting myself run with a wire out steady bearing for so long.... so we replaced that too!

How is your slip joint on your interaxle driveshaft? Any play?

I went under there with a bar and found nothing moved, side to side, up and down, as far as in and out, won't know until I get her out. Driveline was rebuilt a few years ago, so I'm not expecting any surprises. Any idea what size that nut is on there? I have some tools, but that could be an issue.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.