Rear axle is soaked, need help...
12-07-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help...
(12-06-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  When I had my rear rebuilt, I asked about the output yoke nut and got "we hit it until it stops turning". Torque spec is high, if I remember right, something like 700 lbs? Pretty sure supposed to use a new nut every time, they come with red loctite on them.

I've got the torque wrench for the job, no clue if I have the correct size socket for the nut though. I hope Harbor Freight has one if need be... If not it will end up in the shop, found one that can get to it on Monday, maybe, more like Tuesday... I can't wait that long. And quite frankly, I'm broke.

Everything breaks in the winter...
replyreply
I believe mine required a 55mm socket.

I also had to grind the face of the socket down a bit to remove its rounded edges, getting a full contact to the nut, as the nut was a bit thin on mine.

Yours may be different. It is not the same brand of axle.

Also, those seals don't just go out like that on a whim. - Something shifted, came loose, or vibrated to cause it. - Or Maybe it got hot? - That, or the axle housing could not breathe at some point and it pushed oil out of that seal. Driving up and down big hills in bad weather, where the breather gets impacted with ice or snow will cause some of this.

Personally, If you have recently been in bad weather situations, I would have cleaned the thing off with some gasoline, followed by de-greaser, ensured it could breathe well, and see if it leaks again right away.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-07-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  When I had my rear rebuilt, I asked about the output yoke nut and got "we hit it until it stops turning". Torque spec is high, if I remember right, something like 700 lbs? Pretty sure supposed to use a new nut every time, they come with red loctite on them.

I've got the torque wrench for the job, no clue if I have the correct size socket for the nut though. I hope Harbor Freight has one if need be... If not it will end up in the shop, found one that can get to it on Monday, maybe, more like Tuesday... I can't wait that long. And quite frankly, I'm broke.

Everything breaks in the winter...

It’s not ideal but I ran for a few weeks with a similar leak before I could get it fixed. Mine was in the summer, so adding a litre here n there wasn’t so bad.

If I was low on cash I’d be showing up Monday with it nice n clean and get the first weeks cheque rolling and worry about it next weekend.

Gear oil is cheap.

Oh and the torque wrench isn’t the problem. It’s how do you hold the pinion yoke while torquing it to said spec

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
(12-07-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  I believe mine required a 55mm socket.

I also had to grind the face of the socket down a bit to remove its rounded edges, getting a full contact to the nut, as the nut was a bit thin on mine.

Yours may be different. It is not the same brand of axle.

Also, those seals don't just go out like that on a whim. - Something shifted, came loose, or vibrated to cause it. - Or Maybe it got hot? - That, or the axle housing could not breathe at some point and it pushed oil out of that seal. Driving up and down big hills in bad weather, where the breather gets impacted with ice or snow will cause some of this.

Personally, If you have recently been in bad weather situations, I would have cleaned the thing off with some gasoline, followed by de-greaser, ensured it could breathe well, and see if it leaks again right away.

Really not in bad weather, but temps have been up and down, and driving on Chicago roads, that is what I am thinking. I hit one hell of a hole under a narrow bridge downtown by the rail yard. Thank GOD I was going slow, around 20 miles an hour, but it hit so hard I had my little coffee pot flying in the cab. It was dark, nowhere to go but forward with idiots trying to get around me, BANG! That was my last trip for this outfit. I seriously thought something broke, maybe it did.

I'll clean it off today and take a ride, right now I am thinking this is a bit out of my league in regards to tools. If that yoke is stuck in there, I am kind of dead in the water. I have a local shop that can get me in Monday, he has the tools and has done a few of these... I will need a 45mm socket, that I do not have either, I would have to order one, could find nothing locally at that size. Can of worms...
replyreply
You probably should just take it in. If you run into problems you'll have a tow bill to get it to the shop on top of everything. I think it's easier to find a good shop to do driveline work than engine work.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

You should be able to use a puller and BFH on the yoke.

Or, possibly use just the bar puller with centre screw, put the straps back on over the bar. Tighten it up, smack with the hammer, tighten, hammer

Air hammer might help too

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
Engine work is easy... Driveline, not so much... As far as I know the seal is original, over 1 million miles...

I'm taking it in, need a 2+ inch socket, called everywhere, no luck, all said they could order, be here Thursday, Amazon Prime, Monday night Tuesday... And I thought about that tow bill too, this is a residential house, I am no longer out in the country, something goes wrong... This isn't a simple front cover removal, overhead or axle seal, or even the air compressor, this is a bit out of my league right now with the weather and needing to get to work. Spring, Summer or Fall, money in the bank, the time, I would tackle this.

I have the parts, seal $74, lock nut $15 and washer $4... Hopefully I can get this wrapped up pretty quick at the shop, he said be there at 0730 Monday and they would get me in...

On the parts, the dealer wanted $60 for that lock nut, same Meritor I picked up at FleetPride for $15. But, the dealer was $5 cheaper on the same Meritor seal, which FleetPride was out of stock. So, it pays to shop around.

I'll get out there tomorrow, supposed to be in the 40's, around 25 right now, and wash that pig off with some gasoline, water and Dawn... The drive up to the shop should be the tell as far as where it is leaking, just in case it is the RTV on the pig or the case cracked. But, from the looks of things, the way the oil flows away from that dust cap evenly on both sides, I would say it is the seal.

And I just winterized the plumbing too... GRRRRRRRRRRR!
replyreply
(12-07-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  You probably should just take it in. If you run into problems you'll have a tow bill to get it to the shop on top of everything. I think it's easier to find a good shop to do driveline work than engine work.
I second that, I do a lot of my own work. I have enough tools over the years to run a small shop. But sometimes I suck it up and she goes to a very trusted mechanic I know. You have to look at your down time. A good shop gets things in and out faster than most do it our selfers. sometimes it's cheaper to pay the professionals as long as it's done right.
replyreply
(12-07-2019 )Ricky Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  You probably should just take it in. If you run into problems you'll have a tow bill to get it to the shop on top of everything. I think it's easier to find a good shop to do driveline work than engine work.
I second that, I do a lot of my own work. I have enough tools over the years to run a small shop. But sometimes I suck it up and she goes to a very trusted mechanic I know. You have to look at your down time. A good shop gets things in and out faster than most do it our selfers. sometimes it's cheaper to pay the professionals as long as it's done right.

Agree... And going that route. I have the parts, and will clean up the mess, so hopefully the shop will tell me, let's get er done! And I will be rolling Monday afternoon.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.