Rear axle is soaked, need help...
12-06-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help...
(12-06-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  To dark to work on it tonight... Pretty sure it is that pinion seal, it is heaviest right there and then washes out from there, but will still clean it off and drive before tearing into it in case it is coming from the case itself... Anyone know the size of the input shaft nut and the torque specs? Anything special in regards to tools I will need to install that seal if it all checks out? Like a seal installer? Or just make my own? Never done one, but seen it done a few years ago up in the oil field...

My head is spinning right now, a lot going on and the clock is ticking...

Use a ratchet strap around the driveshaft and around the frame, then when you drop it, it doesn’t drop far. Your dust slinger is likely held on with four allen head bolts. You might have to use a puller on the yoke.

Seal drivers- get some different size ID/OD rings maybe 3/4” wall and 3/4” thick, and weld them one on either end of a short piece of pipe, 6” long or so. That way it fits around the pinion shaft yet still drives in the seal. So one could do 2-3” seals, the next could do 3-4”, that idea.

If the seal has a spring around the inside lip use grease or similar and pack that inner lip full to keep the spring in place.

Red loctite or a new nut, gun with a 3/4” impact gun until it’s “torqued” to spec

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help... - Unilevers - 12-06-2019,
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help... - DDlighttruck - 12-06-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.