Rear axle is soaked, need help...
12-11-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help...
Well, front diff/power divider was darn near empty... Rear diff was low, but nothing to be nervous about. I skipped cleaning, as I now knew for sure where the issue was. Mr Hagg was correct. Funny too, the way the oil dispersed, I swore it was the rear pig... That front power divider looked to have been a bit weepy, not like it failed completely. I'm not a mechanic... Even if I sometimes pretend to be... LOL!

Got her to the shop, they replaced both seals, the output/rear of the power divider and the rear diff pinion seal. Power divider was inspected, it checked out OK, talk about dodging a bullet. Thank God I went out and inspected the truck...

Real nice guys at the shop, I was at the gate at 0730 Monday morning, they open at 0800, they got me right in, and they had a stack of work ahead of me. I was supposed to be in Grand Rapids MI to start my job at this new carrier that morning... They saved may bacon as I had a load already and did not want to miss it, a good paying load, something I have not had in over a year, it picks up today.

As far as the repair, they power washed all of the gear oil off, roughly 3.5 gallons, and it was everywhere, and replaced both seals. They did a nice job, I have put around 200 miles on her already, no leaks or signs of weeping.

They charge $110 an hour for labor, good sized shop, they have been there for years, American owned, father and sons. The total cost was $970, roughly $350 for parts and gear oil, the rest was labor. These guys have a pit too, so I am pretty confident in the repair, no contortions under or above the truck. I thought that was a fair price, especially the way they got me in.

They do a bit of everything, and it is nice to have found what looks to be a competent shop locally. If you are in the Detroit area, and need work on the tractor, look these guys up...

American Truck
38850 Ford Rd
Westland MI 48185
734-595-0100

Mike Novak is the owner, Corey is his son. They have around a half dozen mechanics and a well stocked shop. They do suspension and driveline work along with other repairs. They are right next door to Michigan Truck Parts, a parts recycler, they work together. Good guys there too.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help... - Unilevers - 12-06-2019,
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help... - Waterloo - 12-11-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.