Cab air bag springs install on International.
06-22-2016, (Subject: Cab air bag springs install on International. ) 
Cab air bag springs install on International.
I Had an air bag on the sleeper cab that developed a bad leak while pulling a load. I noticed as I was driving the pop off valve and compressor was running nearly constant and popping a lot sooner then it normally did. I started checking things over and found a fast and loud rushing air leak on a cab air bag. I decided to replace both right then since they were both the same age.

I called a dealer near me and requested replacement bags and delivery. They provided everything with the normal highway robbery prices as we all know and delivered to the parking lot I made it to.

They passed the phone to a service guy while I was ordering to gather some insight about what I was up against and he made a quick description of remove and replace to help me out.

He said if the service department did it they would have to charge me $694 to do the job. He said the muffler, air tanks, under frame crossmember and drive shaft was in the way and they may have to remove some of those things. Then went on to say the air bags are located in a housing carriage that has to be unbolted from the sleeper and frame. Once the whole assembly is removed then they can remove the air bags from the assembly and replace with the new ones.

I stared at it awhile and worried that the replacement air springs they sent me were wrong. My old ones were short and fat balloon style bags. The new ones were tall and skinny.

I got after it and figured out if I jack up the sleeper instead of just blocking it up for safety I would be able to reach around everything and access everything and never have to remove anything the service guy described.

I used a small 2 ton bottle jack and raised the sleeper up after disconnecting the load valve leveler arm and dumping the air.

I then had access to reach up and unplug the air hoses from the top fittings. I then took a pry bar and hammer banged on the top side to get the rusted parts to let go of each other. I then unscrewed the bottom of the air bags from the assembly.

I placed the new airbags in their respective spots and spun them in, the attached the screw in air fittings to the top of the air springs. Then plugged in the air hoses and lowered the mini bottle jack to level the sleeper to the frame and reattached the load valve leveler arm.

Then cranked the truck and aired everything up and lower the mini jack some more and pulled it out. All is well now at half the price.

The message in this whole deal I want to pass on to an owner operator is buy a mini bottle jack. It has turned out to be usable for several different small repairs around the truck, holding small stuff in place and etc. You can get them at Walmart if you don't have a good tool house near you.

I know photos help so I'll try and post a couple below.
replyreply
RE: Cab air bag springs install on International.
This is on an 05, International 9900ix.

./uploads/201606/post_602_1466610164_55e3db3310c3db559b46be8e319a7030.jpeg
replyreply
./uploads/201606/post_602_1466610330_69660553c70592688021c5eadf36e943.jpeg
replyreply
./uploads/201606/post_602_1466610405_4de642117ae5b68fa6a98eed641188ba.jpeg
replyreply
./uploads/201606/post_602_1466610469_e51d6372ddcdababfdbdd6c1c54a1c5a.jpeg
replyreply
The new air springs fill up and mushroom out to a short and fat appearance after they fill up. So if your worried like I was about whether or not you got the right ones, you probably do. You just have to buy them by the VIN number and make sure they have the correct air fittings at the top.
replyreply
Bottle jack is nice but never trust a hydraulic 100%.
I would always recommend using somthing like a block for additional safety. I have seen the seals or o rings fail.
If that were to happen while your working up under there, you could lose body parts. Nice job though.
replyreply
(06-22-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  Bottle jack is nice but never trust a hydraulic 100%.
I would always recommend using somthing like a block for additional safety. I have seen the seals or o rings fail.
If that were to happen while your working up under there, you could lose body parts. Nice job though.

Your right, I should have placed a block or something in there once I jacked it to a height that gave me plenty of room to reach everything.
replyreply
Funny, those bags look the same as Pete. I also bought a small bottle jack but didn't have to use it.
I used a large crow bar and some leverage to extend the cab shocks and inserted blocks.

Did those bags have metal or plastic nipple?

Leave it to a dealer to build up the job!
Feels good to save $400-500, plenty of other things to buy.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.