Cab air bag springs install on International.
06-22-2016, (Subject: Cab air bag springs install on International. ) 
RE: Cab air bag springs install on International.
I've seen the local kw dealer charge close to $800 to swap the cab shock on a W900 daycab. Definitely something you want to do if you have the trans and driveline out. On a KW I've found it easier to pull the whole cab ride assembly to change it. Usually the shock bolts freeze, can be a nitemare. Pete's are cake. All external. Those are what I usually work on if it helps anyone
replyreply
06-22-2016, (Subject: Cab air bag springs install on International. ) 
And what do you want to bet if you did take it to the stealership they would have done the exact same thing you did, but charge you for R&R of all the stuff that was "in the way".

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
06-23-2016, (Subject: Cab air bag springs install on International. ) 
(06-22-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Funny, those bags look the same as Pete. I also bought a small bottle jack but didn't have to use it.
I used a large crow bar and some leverage to extend the cab shocks and inserted blocks.

Did those bags have metal or plastic nipple?

Leave it to a dealer to build up the job!
Feels good to save $400-500, plenty of other things to buy.

Yep, plastic threaded nipples on top. Mine had a little lime green sticker with a warning with low torque settings.

Since I had no torque tools I decided to go German Finger Torque Tight and then air it up and check for leaks. Their holding good pressure so far. I'll keep an eye on them.
replyreply
(06-22-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  I've seen the local kw dealer charge close to $800 to swap the cab shock on a W900 daycab. Definitely something you want to do if you have the trans and driveline out. On a KW I've found it easier to pull the whole cab ride assembly to change it. Usually the shock bolts freeze, can be a nitemare. Pete's are cake. All external. Those are what I usually work on if it helps anyone

That just pisses me off how they get away with robbery.

My set up has those ride cab assembly with the 2 shocks and 2 air springs in there. I think it rides good. There has to be a simple way to jack and remove the whole assembly.

I'm going to replace those 2 shocks in there soon. So I'll be trying to figure out a shortcut for them too.

I think some of the Petes and KW trucks were originally designed for owner operators. It seems that way to me, because they have the air dryers, tanks, cab air springs, batteries and numerous other truck items positioned around the truck with easy access for a DIY owner operator.

It's ridiculous in today's world what a owner op has to go through to learn to work on his own truck.

Nevertheless, it's an absolute. You should learn everything you can about your truck/equipment.

When I went to boot camp, I had to learn every piece of the M16, take it apart and put it back together in the dark on a timed test. If you don't know your weapon you don't stand a chance on the battlefield.

I think truck owners should do the same, even if you can't in frame your truck atleast tinker and learn and repair some of things needed on your equipment.
replyreply
(06-22-2016 )kryten Wrote:  And what do you want to bet if you did take it to the stealership they would have done the exact same thing you did, but charge you for R&R of all the stuff that was "in the way".

Your probably right.

I have to keep learning these trucks, so those bastards at the dealerships don't get the money.

I'm about to purchase my 3rd truck in a few days. I take a beating and ride roller coaster rides of anxiety with 2 trucks already. I'm slowly adapting to trucking company owner life style.

My wife thinks I'm a nut job for adding a 3rd truck to the herd and adding additional nightmares to my life.

But thus far I'm moving along with positive gains because I found people here on this forum like Rawze, Unilevers and Mr Hagg. I think being able to consult them and schedule appts with Mr Hagg for the heavy duty stuff is been a secret to some of my successes.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mr Hagg in July with the 3td truck, I already know it needs fuel pump rebuilt and he and I discussed it the other day. He described in very specific details how he is familiar with that particular fuel pump and the steps he would go through to service it. I'm relieved already on that issue. That Mr Hagg is a walking Encyclepedia on CUMMINS, CATS and Detroits.

There are several guys on this forum like that, I'm glad to see them here in one place, I think Rawze created an ultimate fusion forum of diesel diagnostics here.
replyreply
It's been 40 years since I carried an M16, bet I could still take it apart and put it back together in the dark!

I picked up the replacement airbag today, more time at the parts counter. Also bought an air toggle switch for the 5th wheel slider, $146! Highway robbery!
Next time I get a chance to scrounge around at the scrapers I'm buying the old style flip switches because these new air toggles are crap!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(06-23-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  It's been 40 years since I carried an M16, bet I could still take it apart and put it back together in the dark!

I picked up the replacement airbag today, more time at the parts counter. Also bought an air toggle switch for the 5th wheel slider, $146! Highway robbery!
Next time I get a chance to scrounge around at the scrapers I'm buying the old style flip switches because these new air toggles are crap!

$146!!! It never ends soldier!

I wish I had my original issue M16A1 back.

But OMG I never want to see another flipping Etool (soldiers mini trenching/fox hole shovel) ever again. No more digging fox holes or M60 gunner positions with a shovel the size of a large soup spoon.
replyreply
(06-23-2016 )biscuits and gravy Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  I've seen the local kw dealer charge close to $800 to swap the cab shock on a W900 daycab. Definitely something you want to do if you have the trans and driveline out. On a KW I've found it easier to pull the whole cab ride assembly to change it. Usually the shock bolts freeze, can be a nitemare. Pete's are cake. All external. Those are what I usually work on if it helps anyone

That just pisses me off how they get away with robbery.

My set up has those ride cab assembly with the 2 shocks and 2 air springs in there. I think it rides good. There has to be a simple way to jack and remove the whole assembly.

I'm going to replace those 2 shocks in there soon. So I'll be trying to figure out a shortcut for them too.

I think some of the Petes and KW trucks were originally designed for owner operators. It seems that way to me, because they have the air dryers, tanks, cab air springs, batteries and numerous other truck items positioned around the truck with easy access for a DIY owner operator.

It's ridiculous in today's world what a owner op has to go through to learn to work on his own truck.

Nevertheless, it's an absolute. You should learn everything you can about your truck/equipment.

When I went to boot camp, I had to learn every piece of the M16, take it apart and put it back together in the dark on a timed test. If you don't know your weapon you don't stand a chance on the battlefield.

I think truck owners should do the same, even if you can't in frame your truck atleast tinker and learn and repair some of things needed on your equipment.

I don't know how much robbery it was. If the bolts were froze up. And the shock bolts usually are. I could see the job sucking up a day. I do know the truck had over the frame exhaust, and a hydraulic system on it, as well as a big driveline. It can get real busy underneath one of these things. I'm quite sure the tech earned every bit of his pay.
I think a long hood 389 Pete is the easiest truck you can work on. Followed by a W900.

Hats off to you Military Men. Thanks for your service
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.