X15 noise and lack of power on a hard pull.
12-22-2019, (Subject: X15 noise and lack of power on a hard pull. ) 
RE: X15 noise and lack of power on a hard pull.
If you don't figure out what the noise is don't worry it will find you.
To keep operating something knowing it isn't right is foolish in my opinion.

Just a wrecker bill scares me

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
12-22-2019, (Subject: X15 noise and lack of power on a hard pull. ) 
(12-22-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  If you don't figure out what the noise is don't worry it will find you.
To keep operating something knowing it isn't right is foolish in my opinion.

Just a wrecker bill scares me

I just arrived back here in MI from Reno NV... The road was littered with these guys... Hoods up, just standing there scratching their heads. About every five miles or so, I-80 was littered with them...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman
12-24-2019, (Subject: X15 noise and lack of power on a hard pull. ) 
Lots of questions. First, a little on my background. I am a double ASE master certified mechanic. However I will admit. I am in no may factory certified in any make. Just really good general non specific background

Not a driveline noise. Not tires. Not anything but from the engine. I did however get a video of it and in person it’s worse than the video shows. As far as maintenance on these trucks goes. If they ever needed anything it was replaced new. They are greased every 15k and oil every 30k. All full synthetic. They do overheads every 250k. Truck is at 299,850 miles at the moment and it is in as good of shape as new. centromatics on al 6 positions. Does not use but a quart of oil between changes. Not a drop of Coolant (Going by there records). Don’t build up access coolant pressure. Has what may be a very slight miss under heavy load. Fuel economy running 80 across TX from Del Rio to Joplin MO was 6.79 mpg. With 7k in a dry van Running tx 277 and I44. That’s in the vicinity of a 750 mile run.
Rear end gearing is 2.79

As far as manually shifting. Not that easy. I don’t know how much time you have in an auto. But if it don’t like what you want to do. It simply laughs at ya and does as it pleases any way. I can make it downshift only when it’s at a set RPM range. Otherwise it just beeps at ya. Then if it desires your RPMs are to high. It lets off the throttle for you. You truly have little control. And it’s not just this one. I know for a fact Paccar, Freightliner, and International work almost identical. I’ve ran all of those. Although the 12 speed in the FL works the best of the group. All the others including the one behind my X15 now are 10 speed.

Not sure what I missed. But I’ve been thinking. The overhead was ran about 30k ago according to the shop. I honestly think the screwed it up and set it wrong. They told me I’m the only one that has complained of noise like this and they have about 225 of the trucks. The lease 10 of them and the rest are company drivers. My thing is if I’m paying for the truck and “decide” to complete the lease then I don’t want a truck that hammered it’s self to death. Or I don’t want to pay for a catastrophic repair when I told them about the noise.

I made the fallowing video several hours ago while going threw Cumberland MD on I-68.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaaE5doQ...e=youtu.be

I guess what I’m looking for is reassurance that what I hear is without and doubt a problem and me making them fix it would be justified Keep in mind I told them it had a noise the day after I got this unit. And I’ve only had it for three weeks now.
replyreply
12-25-2019, (Subject: X15 noise and lack of power on a hard pull. ) 
(12-17-2019 )marek4792 Wrote:  Not sure what your specs are but it's pretty much known here that you do not lug a Cummins below 1300 under any circumstance, have you ran an overhead yet you very well could have a bad camshaft already yes it's very common issue, also its about that time to rebuild that fuel pump they still fail like the older isx's but will not contaminate the oil passages. Have you done an egr tuneup yet?

Then why does Cummins list specs on there own website like this on the X15?

X15 450 SA
450 (335)
1550/1750 (2101/2372) @ 1000

Every X15 listed has its rated HP and Torqu at 1000 RPM. I would not think they would give the engine rating (the only engine rating) at an RPM that would damage the engine. That would be financial suicide.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201912/post_4351_1577247903_af83e0b9effa059d4af661d3e2805bf0.png
replyreply
It can run that low, the problem is that the liner and block design cannot handle low rpm high torque operation. The ISX and possibly X15 is known to sink liners because the way the piston and rod is moving in the cylinder, it is actually pushing the liner towards the exhaust side where most failures become obvious. Lugging the engine causes most of the liner vibrations making it eventually sink on the exhaust side. Also poor deck height plays a role amplifying the issue as well.

Sounds like your gearing is right for direct drive sucks it's a 10 speed, 13 or 18 would greatly benefit the truck especially if you get it reprogrammed or put a manual in it. Another thing, cummins could give a less of a poop about the initial sales because they make their bank on aftermarket parts! Design it to last long enough for it to fail conveniently outside the warranty period so they can screw you dry on a $25-30k overhaul at 500k miles. My buddy went through this very scenario at 450k miles sunk a liner causing head gasket failure, decided after the overhaul and having to start replacing parts he'd be more financially viable trading it for a brand new one (Cali based) and starting fresh again.
replyreply
my truck with 871 been making bout the same noise since i got it and ive damn near replaced the whole engine including compressor and its still there nothing grenaded in 170kish miles granted yours is louder i cant get mine on video but you have a 680 with the air intake vents near the doors and your compressor is naturally aspirated so it would be louder if thats the noise coming back through the intake system is just the compressor slapping. but as i said i dont know mine only makes it under power nothing at idle or free reving.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
30K mile oil changes, 2.79 rears, and that auto $hitter lugging you down all the time, your engine is being greatly abused. You don't have to believe it but it's a fact.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Explosia
I stopped reading at 30,000 mile oil changes and synthetic oil... All I can think is carbon packed. And then throw in the gearing and transmission. Those new anti-carbon pistons help, but they do not solve the issue when a motor is being neglected. And I think it is safe to say, that a 30,000 mile oil change is more than likely closer to 50,000 miles.

Alright, I kept reading...

I would start with the overhead, that is not the air compressor. I played the video over my truck stereo system, that is something else and much deeper than the Cummins compressor knock. I would pop the top and do a proper overhead, as I would say they probably missed something, or just did a half arse job, it's not their truck. And I would not run the Jake until I found out what is going on... I wonder what the camshaft and lobes look like?

Back to the video... I was just talking to a buddy of mine, he had his new clutch fail in his truck, the shop that installed it screwed up the fly wheel, never turned it and it was out of balance and darn near destroyed his motor, and completely destroyed the new clutch. The noise your truck is making sounds a bit like what he described to me, an out of balance crank shaft. I know that is a stretch, but with a motor that is as neglected as the one you are driving, it would not surprise me if there is something really bad going on there.

That is not a normal sound.

A little voice in my head is saying carbon packed... But I hear voices all the time, for what it is worth.
replyreply
(12-25-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  30K mile oil changes, 2.79 rears, and that auto $hitter lugging you down all the time, your engine is being greatly abused. You don't have to believe it but it's a fact.

I listen to everything that I hear. Like I say. I am a mechanic but not specifically Cummins. I came here because you guys run them. I haven’t. There is times I would take the word of drivers over a mechanic. How much does a mechanic drive the engines. And like stated. No load rev is totally different than pulling 80k up a 9% 2 mile grade. Sitting in neutral the engine makes no noise. However if the truck misses a gear and it revs to catch it again I can hear it. It is much snappier when the computer does the rev though

Air compressor? That’s possible I guess. I could unhook the air intake to the compressor and see if the Sound changes. I do have one problem, in my mind it’s valve train noise. So it’s hard for me to look someplace else. However I came here to get thoughts and advice. So I will try the air compressor.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.