Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ?
12-17-2019, (Subject: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ? ) 
Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ?
So as the classic story goes , bought a used truck . I took a chance like everyone else , I got a few miles down ,did the oil sample thing went through it one issue at a time . I figured it was definetly time to do the rods and mains not knowing the true history . Oh all good till we got to
#1 bearing . It looks like something got in the oil journal and chewed up the bearing and the crank , no emery clothing it out . So its a 565 870 egr . It ran like a top and really never missed a beat for the season I ran it . Who might know what kind of money I am looking at for a cummins reman drop in complete engine from cummins . I am not sure which way to go its got 20800 hours on it . Suggestions would be appreciated . Yes I plan on keeping it now and Im not looking for headaches later .
replyreply
12-17-2019, (Subject: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ? ) 
RE: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ?
(12-17-2019 )akwman Wrote:  So as the classic story goes , bought a used truck . I took a chance like everyone else , I got a few miles down ,did the oil sample thing went through it one issue at a time . I figured it was definetly time to do the rods and mains not knowing the true history . Oh all good till we got to
#1 bearing . It looks like something got in the oil journal and chewed up the bearing and the crank , no emery clothing it out . So its a 565 870 egr . It ran like a top and really never missed a beat for the season I ran it . Who might know what kind of money I am looking at for a cummins reman drop in complete engine from cummins . I am not sure which way to go its got 20800 hours on it . Suggestions would be appreciated . Yes I plan on keeping it now and Im not looking for headaches later .

This may be an unpopular opinion, but it's honest. For ME, because I am not scared to rip one of these things apart and rebuild it, with only 20k hrs on a motor that ran like a top with a scored crank...I'd yank that motor, buy a used crank, rebuild it, pull every structure, changing every seal and gasket and know that I did it right. Your final sentence is the foundation of my opinion.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I don't know if this is a true option or not but I was told that there are machine shops that can clean up the crank in the truck and put over sized bearings in. But I did hear this from the absolute sh1t shop that swapped my engine. So I have zero knowledge or faith that it's true information. I'm just putting this out there to get a response from the engine whisperers for a true answer.
replyreply
(12-17-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I don't know if this is a true option or not but I was told that there are machine shops that can clean up the crank in the truck and put over sized bearings in. But I did hear this from the absolute sh1t shop that swapped my engine. So I have zero knowledge or faith that it's true information. I'm just putting this out there to get a response from the engine whisperers for a true answer.

I know a guy that bought out an old school engine shop, complete with crank grinder and all. I have no idea if there is tools that can do this "in situ", but knowing how precise a bearing surface needs to be, not sure it's something I'd want done without being removed and done on a foundation machine...
At that point, that's why I'd buy a used, personally inspected crank, and rebuild it myself so I know liner heights, head gasket and bolts are properly crushed and torqued, rod pin ends measured and verified, rods n mains plasti-guaged, I mean done right. Then I know the motor should be good for another 30k hours or more...
Why chance an inferior slap job by who knows who when you're yanking the motor anyway for something you plan to keep?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(12-17-2019 )akwman Wrote:  So as the classic story goes , bought a used truck . I took a chance like everyone else , I got a few miles down ,did the oil sample thing went through it one issue at a time . I figured it was definetly time to do the rods and mains not knowing the true history . Oh all good till we got to

There was a thread here somewhere about Mr hag getting a long block and having to tear it all apart and re cut counterbores because they came from the factory all different heights. Others have said they're piston rings were indexed wrong, I think there were other issues as well. In my opinion a long block from Cummins isn't even a consideration. Your better off rebuilding what you have so you'll know it's right.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: akwman , Waterloo , redbeard

used crank off wrecked motor / truck from junkyard thats still in good shape.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: akwman , barf , Hammerhead , Waterloo
12-18-2019, (Subject: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ? ) 
32000.00 with turbo,ecm,ect bolt it in with tax and 2 year cummins warranty.
replyreply
12-18-2019, (Subject: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ? ) 
With that warranty and $18.00 you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks....Absolutely worthless !
You might save some time going that route but you definitely won't have an engine with longevity.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
You say season you ran it? What is this truck used for? You just decided to replace bearings cause you thought it was time. Didn't have any oil pressure problems? So you didn't know about any bearing trouble until you looked.

Guess what I am saying is are you sure the crank is junk? Who knows how long it has been running this way.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.