Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ?
12-17-2019, (Subject: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ? ) 
RE: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ?
(12-17-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I don't know if this is a true option or not but I was told that there are machine shops that can clean up the crank in the truck and put over sized bearings in. But I did hear this from the absolute sh1t shop that swapped my engine. So I have zero knowledge or faith that it's true information. I'm just putting this out there to get a response from the engine whisperers for a true answer.

I know a guy that bought out an old school engine shop, complete with crank grinder and all. I have no idea if there is tools that can do this "in situ", but knowing how precise a bearing surface needs to be, not sure it's something I'd want done without being removed and done on a foundation machine...
At that point, that's why I'd buy a used, personally inspected crank, and rebuild it myself so I know liner heights, head gasket and bolts are properly crushed and torqued, rod pin ends measured and verified, rods n mains plasti-guaged, I mean done right. Then I know the motor should be good for another 30k hours or more...
Why chance an inferior slap job by who knows who when you're yanking the motor anyway for something you plan to keep?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who knows what an 870 egr cummins long block goes for these days ? - Hammerhead - 12-17-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.