Fault code 2387 vgt actuator mechanical fmi 7 Spn 641
06-26-2016, (Subject: Fault code 2387 vgt actuator mechanical fmi 7 Spn 641 ) 
Fault code 2387 vgt actuator mechanical fmi 7 Spn 641
Hi I hav 2012 cascadia with isx
Yesterday I got check engine light.
I went to mechanic .there wad two code
One is 2387 fmi 7 Spn 641 and other one was
1141 fmi 7 Spn 652.mechanic told me that
I need to get new turbo and cyl#2 fuel injector.
Check engine light was on for a day before it goes off
Automatically .mechanic did reset on code for time being.told me to drive until it come again.vgt
Code already comes twice after reset.thanks in advance.
Plz share your views on this.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201606/post_2148_1466965089_2b707e9f550aec032e12a42871af5ffa.jpeg
replyreply
RE: Fault code 2387 vgt actuator mechanical fmi 7 Spn 641
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...c2387.html
replyreply
That is the exact same code that I'm trying to fix right now. I'll be seperating the turbo and vg actuator tonight and recalibration.

I'll let you know what I find.
replyreply
Thanks really appreciate your help.
replyreply
06-27-2016, (Subject: Fault code 2387 vgt actuator mechanical fmi 7 Spn 641 ) 
The injector code is definitely a problem. If you had the truck through a truck wash and they pressure-wash the engine, getting the plug for the injectors wet, it can cause this code. also, if the injector is going bad it will trigger it too. -- I.E. it can be wiring OR the injector.

=========

I have also seen intermittent actuator alarms like that one after people get their engine/truck washed too (for up to several days after). Just throwing it out there.

The 2387 could be your turbo starting to wear out but -- The emissions system can cause the VGT code as a ghost too. I have seen bad IMAP sensors and/or bad/clogged Delta-P sensors cause that code. I have also seen partially clogged or cracked DPF/DOC/SCR can cause it too. DID they even bother to check the other sensors and pull them to see what condition they were in? -- I doubt it!.

If you had just gotten that code by itself, even if it had occurred a couple times, the EGR system is what I would look at first, -- The other sensors, regen history, and health of the EGR piping etc. before starting to accuse the turbo directly, but as well, you got the 1117 to go with it? (the engine hours are not shown for the errors because no one bothered to expand the error data before printing them out)...

Most always when you get a 1117 code (along with a VGT code like the one you have), and the number of occurrences match --- ONE in your case, It could mean actually absolutely nothing at all. It is quite normal to get BOTH the 1117 and the 2387 together as a pair of faults whenever the ECM is re-booted/restarted without the key-switch (happens when someone cycles the key too fast or during ECM programming etc.). A pretty harmless thing in itself, if someone was doing ECM work to it, no big deal.

I would Run it for a few days and see how many occurrences there are in the ECM itself to see if you are getting repeating alarms for the VG. I don't care what the dash says, the dash is screwy in these newer trucks, and makes errors that are not actually happening in the engine itself half the time.

Lastly -- I don't know how any mechanic can justify telling someone to replace a $4500+ component because they have only ONE single error in their ECM. Especially if it is clear that the ECM re-booted and that error is common to get simply because it re-booted. -- Myself, i wait until the error is 100% confirmed legitimate, and re-occurring WITHOUT the ECM reboot code coming up too. After that,... THERE IS STILL NO WAY IN HELL I would recommend replacement of the turbo or actuator WITHOUT FIRST TAKING IT APART AND FINDING OUT WHAT IS ACTUALLY WRONG!!! -- IT IS CALLED TROUBLESHOOTING!!!--- NOT GUESSING !!!--- Especially when it comes to someone else's money!.

Here is a reference video...

IT CAN FULL WELL BE the turbo,.... All I am trying to say is that MAKE DAMN SURE FIRST!. 70% of shops that replace turbochargers, EGR coolers, DPF cans, and all the other expensive components simply because it gets a code once or twice without digging into WHY, and proving it is bad .... End up wasting money and solving nothing in the end.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-27-2016, (Subject: Fault code 2387 vgt actuator mechanical fmi 7 Spn 641 ) 
Thanks a lot .,will see that video .
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.