Forum opinions
12-21-2019, (Subject: Forum opinions ) 
RE: Forum opinions
When I was purchasing my truck, one of the dealers gave the same fiasco about removing the valve cover. If I remember right his concerns were leaks (after the fact), contaminates (once opened), what if they broke a bolt, etc, etc... Basically a bunch of excuses.

- I simply stated if his techs were not qualified to remove, inspect, and reinstall a valve cover without an abundance of issues occurring, then maybe I should look elsewhere. His tone changed once he was backed into a corner, but again I reminded him I'd be risking tens of thousands of dollars up front, lost revenue in the back (if it were to fail), along with the possibility of unsatisfied customers I couldn't afford to lose being a new business venture. ---- His risks were a $100 gasket and a broken bolt.... hardly seem like it's worth mentioning ----

I had a small dealership for quite awhile. Pleasing the customer is your main goal. You NEED them in order to stay in business, they don't need you. There are thousands of other vehicles out there to be purchased. If the dealer doesn't fully understand that concept, then I'd just move on. There laziness would cause immediate concern.
replyreply
(12-21-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  When I was purchasing my truck, one of the dealers gave the same fiasco about removing the valve cover. If I remember right his concerns were leaks (after the fact), contaminates (once opened), what if they broke a bolt, etc, etc... Basically a bunch of excuses.

- I simply stated if his techs were not qualified to remove, inspect, and reinstall a valve cover without an abundance of issues occurring, then maybe I should look elsewhere. His tone changed once he was backed into a corner, but again I reminded him I'd be risking tens of thousands of dollars up front, lost revenue in the back (if it were to fail), along with the possibility of unsatisfied customers I couldn't afford to lose being a new business venture. ---- His risks were a $100 gasket and a broken bolt.... hardly seem like it's worth mentioning ----

I had a small dealership for quite awhile. Pleasing the customer is your main goal. You NEED them in order to stay in business, they don't need you. There are thousands of other vehicles out there to be purchased. If the dealer doesn't fully understand that concept, then I'd just move on. There laziness would cause immediate concern.

I've had the exact opposite experience. Most dealers don't care if you buy it or not. As your walking out the door another guy is walking in and he's not as picky. If you're to much of a problem they usually can't wait for you to leave. Times are good right now, everything is selling without much problem.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Explosia
(12-21-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  If your that concerned why don't you just have them open the lid so you can have a look at the cam? I don't understand what the big hold up is. They're gonna charge you a couple hundred? Big deal, your spending tens of thousands.
And just remember, you are buying a used truck, I don't care what maintenance records it has, you ARE going to have problems with it, it's just the reality.

I guess you’re right, I was just questioning myself if it was worth it since I know he used rotella (my choice also) and serviced it within a reasonable interval. But better to be safe than sorry. Thanks.
replyreply
(12-21-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(12-21-2019 )Explosia Wrote:  
(12-20-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Why is he selling it?

It’s on consignment, the previous owner bought a new one.

Hmmm... Well, the truck is at the end of its life, he must have a good gig or deep pockets.

He has a 25 truck fleet, this was his personal truck.
replyreply
(12-21-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  
(12-21-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  When I was purchasing my truck, one of the dealers gave the same fiasco about removing the valve cover. If I remember right his concerns were leaks (after the fact), contaminates (once opened), what if they broke a bolt, etc, etc... Basically a bunch of excuses.

I've had the exact opposite experience. Most dealers don't care if you buy it or not. As your walking out the door another guy is walking in and he's not as picky. If you're to much of a problem they usually can't wait for you to leave. Times are good right now, everything is selling without much problem.

Ive had the same response all year long.....No you can’t. Because there are 5 guys behind me that will buy the truck if I don’t. So I’ve walked. But this is the truck that meet all my standards and really don’t want to pass it up, and to be honest I’m sick of looking lol.

But tree I thought you bought new last year. What year was it when you bought used?
replyreply
(12-21-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  I've had the exact opposite experience. Most dealers don't care if you buy it or not. As your walking out the door another guy is walking in and he's not as picky. If you're to much of a problem they usually can't wait for you to leave. Times are good right now, everything is selling without much problem.

You're right...in this current market there are many circumstances just like that. Very unfortunate how many people could careless about the main piece of the trucking puzzle...the damn truck! Dealers feed on that and it works to there advantage.

I've seen it both ways when purchasing my truck. The big franchise dealers had the attitude you're talking about, Tree98. The small independants, at least around me, had a different story, especially when you called their bluff of people lining up to buy the truck. Unfortunately, the independants usually had trucks I wasn't interested in.
replyreply
[quote='Explosia' pid='47876'
honest I’m sick of looking lol.
[/quote]

Don't make an emotional buy. That's what car dealers are counting on when they make you wait while they play checkers in the managers office.
If you're worn down, take a break.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
Just buy the truck if you like it and it seems legitimate records and oil was changed regularly. From your arguments to the advise it seems you like the truck. Your gonna be throwing money at it anyway. Get it home run a overhead inspect well and fix as needed. Seriously you’ll spend a fortune on a used truck fixing it anyway. Keep plenty of cash when you make your deal to fix truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Explosia
[/quote]

But tree I thought you bought new last year. What year was it when you bought used?
[/quote]

Yes I bought 2 new trucks last year, but im always looking for good used trucks just haven't bought any for the reasons I brought up.

I always chuckle when guys say "tell them they have to do this" or "demand that they do that, or tell them your walking" yeah right!! They aren't gonna do squat. They may not sell the truck to you but they damn sure will sell it to someone and they know that. Back around 2008 you had that kind of leverage..... the tables have turned.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Explosia , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.