Egr at 100% open
06-28-2016, (Subject: Egr at 100% open ) 
Egr at 100% open
my dash diagnostic readout says "egr valve controller out of calibration" and insite is reporting an ordered position of 0 while the measured position is 100.

Is this just a sensor issue? Is this the impetus to do the milk money? Can I drive from Detroit to Laredo like this without doing harm to my poor old isx?
replyreply
RE: Egr at 100% open
Holy cow batman. she's running like a maxxforce!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Do you see smoke coming out of the exhaust?
replyreply
(06-28-2016 )Vin Wrote:  Do you see smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Actually, it is not likely unless your DPF is cracked. The DPF masks how much smoke your engine produces heavily.

(06-28-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  my dash diagnostic readout says "egr valve controller out of calibration" and insite is reporting an ordered position of 0 while the measured position is 100.

Is this just a sensor issue? Is this the impetus to do the milk money? Can I drive from Detroit to Laredo like this without doing harm to my poor old isx?

There is a way to check to see if it is permanently stuck in an open position...

You can always pull off the Venturi pipe and crank up the truck to somewhat test its positioning. With it running, it should be blasting hot air out of the feed pipe it at a full 100% with the venturi removed.

While the engine is still idling and the venturi removed, unplug the magic plug (the egr temp sensor), and you should feel the valve close after several seconds and the air blasting out of the pipe will ramp to a stop. This will tell you that it closed 100%. -- this will not tell you if it is sticky, etc. but you can at least confirm it is able to move and close.

If the valve has more than 500-600k miles on it, it is time for a new one anyways,.. that is the typical lifespan of them.

Driving the truck with the EGR valve stuck open will make a lot of black soot and quickly clog the DPF. It will also cause heavy amounts of soot to get into the oil.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-29-2016, (Subject: Egr at 100% open ) 
Thanks Rawze. I'll be able to pull the Venturi pipe this weekend. The truck has just over a million miles and I don't know if the egr has ever been replaced.

Theoretical question, if the valve is stuck open, is it ok to leave it that way and do the milk money using a plate on the Venturi?
replyreply
06-29-2016, (Subject: Egr at 100% open ) 
(06-29-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  Thanks Rawze. I'll be able to pull the Venturi pipe this weekend. The truck has just over a million miles and I don't know if the egr has ever been replaced.

Theoretical question, if the valve is stuck open, is it ok to leave it that way and do the milk money using a plate on the Venturi?

After m m, it will not matter where that valve is stuck at if it is done properly.
replyreply
10-10-2017, (Subject: Egr at 100% open ) 
I know this is an old thread but I did learn some things that might be helpful to others who experience this in the future and thought I should share.

When I got home I pulled the EGR valve and found out why it was stuck open. There were around ten marble sized pieces of carbon inside the valve preventing it from closing. Fortunately its easy to disassemble the spring and work the valve by hand to get it all cleaned out.

Now to continue the story. A week later the egr valve is stuck open again, not quite as many marbles this time but also some oily residue. Yup, leaking egr cooler. Before the stuck egr valve happened I started having to add coolant, about a half gallon per 3000 miles. I didn't think that was bad. But after replacing the egr cooler, I haven't had to add a drop of coolant in nearly a year and no more marbles in the EGR valve.

Now a year later I got the egr stuck open again. I just pulled the valve and it has no obvious blockage, it was just soot around the shaft causing it not to move. I used PB Blaster and elbow grease till it was sliding like new and put it back together. hopefully this won't be a weekly thing now but I'll let you know further down the road.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , schISM , Brock , hhow55
10-10-2017, (Subject: Egr at 100% open ) 
those same "Marbles" will go through your turbocharger and destroy the exhaust turbine. i have seen it a dozen times and it is nothing to play with.

They can also destroy the entire engine is one makes its way to an intake valve.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.