What would you guys do?
12-28-2019, (Subject: What would you guys do? ) 
What would you guys do?
CM2250, @m*m^2, no soot monster, 740,000. She runs like a top, using no noticeable coolant and very little oil. I had planned to drop the pan at 750K and roll in new rod and main bearings. What else should I do while the pan is off? Coolant pressure test? Change oil pump? Is it even necessary to do new rods and mains at 750K?? Just looking for your recommendations. Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: What would you guys do?
Hp and torque settings and mpg will have a lot to do with that decision. 750k would probably be were a engine that was high engine load and bigger hp would want that kind of freshening up. 450hp hauling light freight with good oil change intervals probably a bit of over kill on maintenance.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
If you're worried about it then fix it so you're not. 3/4 of a million miles isn't a small amount of miles for any truck. If it's on your mind, get it done and over with so you can focus that energy elsewhere.

Roll the bearings in. Pull the oil pump and inspect it. Replace it if you have any doubts. At that many miles it's certainly not gonna hurt the truck to be freshened up.
replyreply
(12-28-2019 )JMBT Wrote:  CM2250, @m*m^2, no soot monster, 740,000. She runs like a top, using no noticeable coolant and very little oil. I had planned to drop the pan at 750K and roll in new rod and main bearings. What else should I do while the pan is off? Coolant pressure test? Change oil pump? Is it even necessary to do new rods and mains at 750K?? Just looking for your recommendations. Thanks

Doing the rod and main bearings at 750 - 800k miles ensures and prevents wrist pin failures if the engine does make it well past a million before an inframe... it IS proper maintenance, does not mater if it has been driven heavy, light, or otherwise.

YES< pressurize it and let it sit over night,.. check it thouroughly while the pan is off, and make a pictorial record of liner wear from the bottom up, etc.

- Also do all the other 250k miles maintenance items for the whole vehicle while its down... make it into a happy truck, not a miserable one.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I would replace the o-ring seal, on the oil suction line.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
I would do it. Me, I would replace the oil pump, along with the water pump, you are down there along with the other suggestions. All of these parts are near their end of life, do it now while you are tearing into it, beats a shop visit or the hook when under a load.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.