Adventures with a Pete 587
11-02-2022, (Subject: Adventures with a Pete 587 ) 
RE: Adventures with a Pete 587
(11-02-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  Did it take grease when you got it back together? There is supposed to be something like 3-5 thousandths of space for grease between the bushing and the pin.

I don't know for sure but I think the pin is harder than the axle eye, so you might not see any wear on the pin but they wear out the axle eye in an hour glass shape. If you don't correct that it will accelerate the wear and you'll be doing the whole job over again in short order.

You need something like this

AuSL 6PCS Precision Telescopic Gauge Carbon Steel Micrometer T-Bore Hole Measurement Bore Engineers Kit https://a.co/d/bYycFx6

And a set of mic's to check the axle eye wear. You need to check it north and south then east and west about a 1/2" or 3/4" in from the top and then up from the bottom.

Stemco Kaiser makes a kit with "no ream bushings" I've used them twice now (2 different axles) and I've been real happy with them. If you use factory bushings that have to be reamed, you basically have to take the pins and spindles to a machine shop to have them fitted. The stemco kits save you all that time and aggravation.

Stemco video https://youtu.be/S17x0BeA0qc

yes, greased (pistol grip gun, not air powered) up just fine and purged VERY evenly from the normal locations (unlike the old one which usually favored one or two spots over the rest of the circumference). It's a Meritor kit (R201315) with brass or copper looking bushings with what appears to be a nylon inner sleeve with holes and grooves. I know my eyes are not calibrated measuring devices (its not opened up in front of me so I can only relay what I saw), but after cleaning the bores there were no visible defects and everything was smooth. Again, only spots on the king pin that showed any wear were at the bushings. The old pin only moved vertically (only first observed at my recent PM), the new pin had no movement (except rotation) inside the axle eye prior to the wedge bolts being installed.

Aside from the difficult install, which was my own mistake, the entire job was actually pretty easy. Spent more time turning bolts to get to it than actually servicing it. (maybe I should actually use that aircat I bought) If I could find a reamer for the final size between 1.7950-1.7960" I'd have no problem doing the job again. But so far I can't seem to find one of the correct size and I have no clue what shops are around here that could do it. I'll look into the other tools, any pointers are always appreciated.

Edit:
Finally found a reamer of appropriate size, should be here friday. Will pull it out this weekend and redo it properly. Thanks for the info tree98, really helped!

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adventures with a Pete 587 - JimT - 11-02-2022

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.