On the side of the road...
01-14-2020, (Subject: On the side of the road... ) 
RE: On the side of the road...
Seem fine, return to same height after 10 or more bounces. I will replace them simply because they’re ceramic. However, the parts breakdown does not show them as a part. I suppose Cummins would know what they are anyway?
replyreply
Can and tappers move fine when cranking. I guess replace the fuel actuator, plungers, gaskets and put it back together?
replyreply
Is it possible the cam is worn? How long of a stroke should the tappets have? Truck is fairly young 110k miles, 4000 hrs.
replyreply
replace all the guts. Pull out the tappets and replace them (check the pump cam while you are there). Then replace both barrels and plungers and the head gasket and sealing washers. Wouldn't hurt for a high pressure actuator while you are there or a whole new pump head if your going for broke.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
Thanks for all that provided input! Pump cam looked good, no noticable wear on the lobes. Old tappets looked pretty good too, probably could have reused them, just some minor wear on the outside top edges. All put back together with new parts, bled air out of system, fired right up with a couple shots of ether. Maybe the combination of gear pump, fuel actuator, and injector pump? If anything, glad to be rid of the ceramic plungers!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , Waterloo , JimT , Pd6cas2
01-16-2020, (Subject: On the side of the road... ) 
Now you've nailed one of very few things that will ever let you down on a common rail ISC. Apart from leaky oil pan gaskets and the fuel pumps (which last a reasonable amount of time and are fairly simple to diagnose) they are incredibly reliable.

There are so many around Australia in rubbish trucks and concrete agitators that never get looked after and they just keep on going.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
Is the ISB similar to the ISC ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-16-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Is the ISB similar to the ISC ?

i think isb is no sleeves, isc is sleeved.

A sleeved engine is definitely better.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I assume the same general liner design as the bigger engines? I make sure not to lug it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.