2011 isx435 problem
01-14-2020, (Subject: 2011 isx435 problem ) 
2011 isx435 problem
Hi, first of all, great community here.
I own 2011 prostar with isx 435 and two days ago my truck get the warn engine light and shuts off while idling,
Drove it to mechanic 70 miles and then got red shut down engine light. The mechanic pulled off codes, reset the computer and that seemed to help, I was on the way to delivery. Next two mornings when I start the truck, I have again warn engine light on and then after 30 minutes or engine warms up light cleared up. Currently in Phoenix Area looking for a mechanic.
Probobly is best to change exhaust gas pressure sensor and camshaft position sensor and if that not fixes the problem look into wiring problem.
Codes that were in the computer prior to erase were:

187 Circuit 2 for the sensor power supply. Value too low ( short to ground, low voltage )
2554 Exhaust gas pressure sensor. Intermittent or incorrect data
2374 Exhaust gas pressure sensor fault. Insufficient voltage.
778 Camshaft position sensor. Intermittent or incorrect data.
115 Camshaft signal missing. Crankshaft signal missing. Intermittent or incorrect.

At the time of deletion, all faults were inactive.
Any thoughts? Do I first try to change sensors or something else is in the play?
Thanks
replyreply
RE: 2011 isx435 problem
(01-14-2020 )aalendar Wrote:  Hi, first of all, great community here.
I own 2011 prostar with isx 435 and two days ago my truck get the warn engine light and shuts off while idling,
Drove it to mechanic 70 miles and then got red shut down engine light. The mechanic pulled off codes, reset the computer and that seemed to help, I was on the way to delivery. Next two mornings when I start the truck, I have again warn engine light on and then after 30 minutes or engine warms up light cleared up. Currently in Phoenix Area looking for a mechanic.
Probobly is best to change exhaust gas pressure sensor and camshaft position sensor and if that not fixes the problem look into wiring problem.

187 Circuit 2 for the sensor power supply. Value too low ( short to ground, low voltage )
115 Camshaft signal missing. Crankshaft signal missing. Intermittent or incorrect.

Any thoughts? Do I first try to change sensors or something else is in the play?
Thanks

First thing that jumps out at me are codes 187 and 2374. Both mention low voltage. Since you are getting multiple sensor issues I'd be looking for a common cause. Start at batteries, check all wires and connections. Check all ground connections. Look around for bare, rubbing or damaged wires. Check all your fuses for corrosion. Check the sensors for internal shorts. Test your batteries and alternator. Not necessarily exactly in that order, but that's what comes to mind.

Not sure which engine that would be, but if it's the cm2250 than those sensors are connected to 2 different ECM wiring harness so the ECM could also be suspect, though that would be one of the last things to consider. However, if you've been letting the truck washes power wash your engine then you could have corrosion in some or all of the ECM plugs.

Anyway, that's all I got. Sure someone else has more knowledge than I do...

Edit:
If/when you look at the sensors I would prioritize the cam position sensor. That's probably what caused your recent symptoms. The EGR sensor could be going bad with intermittent faults that come and go too quickly to pop up on your dash. Meaning it's a separate issue that you just happened to notice right now. Either way it sounds like your electrical system could use some cleaning and maybe it's time for an EGR tune-up.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
The cam and crank shaft timing sensors, they are identical, same part number, I would replace both if you decide to replace the cam sensor.

The cam shaft sensor is located on the driver side of the head, just beside the Jake harness where it inserts at the head. This will be at the center of the head.

The crank shaft timing sensor is located on the driver side, lower front structure. There will be a wire loom, holds two little wires, circumference of your pinky finger, it drops down below where the oil fill neck is located and plugs into the sensor.

Both sensors are held in place with a 10mm bolt. You need to remove the bolt and wiggle the sensors out. The crank shaft sensor can be a bear, but it will come out. When you install the new ones, lubricate the o-ring with oil or Vaseline and install. I think the bolts are supposed to be torqued to 15 ftlb if my memory serves me right. I used anti-seize on the bolts before installing and torquing down.

Here is a link to the sensor {link removed. non-oem enigne sensor}.

That is what it looks like, BUT! Only purchase Genuine Cummins OEM sensors! The one I linked to above is a Chinese knock off! Only use Cummins Genuine Parts! Especially sensors! Any truck dealer will normally stock these, or Cummins shop. Make sure the box is Genuine Cummins! Do not try to save a buck on these vital parts.

On edit: Your cam shaft timing sensor, I have the 871 dual cam, you more than likely you have the CM-2250 single cam. If that is what you have, that sensor for the cam shaft is more than likely on the passenger side where your single cam resides.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , JimT
01-15-2020, (Subject: 2011 isx435 problem ) 
Drove it to mechanic 70 miles and then got red shut down engine light. The mechanic pulled off codes, reset the computer and that seemed to help,...

Your mechanic is an idiot if that is all he did. -- computers cannot fix actual enigine problems just by resetting them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Thanks

its called an EGR tune-up.. start there. The exhaust bp sensor is only good for 400k miles at a time... the IMAP on the intake is only good for about a year os so at a time... start by actually setting up the engine to make money instead of driving it around and allowing it to complain.

https://youtu.be/FhJxpyS5MpY

The crank/cam sensors need replacing at their first hint of an alarm.. they do not give any alarms unless something is wrong.

- The voltage thing would also be a concern too. Buy a usb charger for your phone that has a voltage readout on it.. keep an eye on it while driving. - Don;t trust the one built into the the dash.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
Thanks for reply, i will start with the sensors, then check further electric components and wires. Rarely, I do power wash engine and I did it 2 weeks ago.Maybe that was the cause.
Also first breakdown happened in Oklahoma on Sunday , literally in the middle of nowhere, and only guy willing to come was that young guy ( mechanic? ) Bill was $850 (originally $1000, i had to talk to owner ?) Mobile mechanic come out 50 miles to me plugged into computer, deleted codes and follo wed me 40 miles to Stratford tx, where he lives anyway I guess. All that for $850
Thanks
replyreply
01-16-2020, (Subject: 2011 isx435 problem ) 
(01-15-2020 )aalendar Wrote:  Thanks for reply, i will start with the sensors, then check further electric components and wires. Rarely, I do power wash engine and I did it 2 weeks ago.Maybe that was the cause.
Also first breakdown happened in Oklahoma on Sunday , literally in the middle of nowhere, and only guy willing to come was that young guy ( mechanic? ) Bill was $850 (originally $1000, i had to talk to owner ?) Mobile mechanic come out 50 miles to me plugged into computer, deleted codes and follo wed me 40 miles to Stratford tx, where he lives anyway I guess. All that for $850
Thanks

Yep, welcome to EPA trucking. That is how it works out here. You take that pig to a dealer, and you will get a new EGR Cooler and a Turbo, they will bill you anywhere from $6,000 to $10,000, and will never fix the issue, which is more than likely a bad sensor. EGR Tuneup, get Insite and the Inline reader and learn how to care for and maintain your equipment, do not trust these shops.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.