Spindle wear?
01-15-2020, (Subject: Spindle wear? ) 
Spindle wear?
Good morning, I have Dana Spicer LMS hub drive axles. Went to do wheel seals and saw my spindles are slightly chrome. Are they bad? Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks
./uploads/202001/post_4399_1579101375_91af510ad13c2c985946a64cd864e0ea.jpeg

User's Signature: I may be cross eyed, but i don’t cross thread
replyreply
RE: Spindle wear?
./uploads/202001/post_4399_1579101615_74b45351748dfff4052effa0fc3add5f.jpegBearing

replyreply
It looks fine to me. Before you re install the hub with new seal run some fine Emory cloth on that seal journal at the back of the spindle.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
looks like the bearing was running with it under-torqued.

Anyone torque the axle hub bearings regularly like they are supposed to do? - every 250k miles max?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Last time the bearing was serviced my father followed the wrong procedure I believe. Yes I think it was under torqued also, should I change the bearings? Or just install them the right way/ manufacturers procedure? Should I prick the spindle to make it tighter for them? The old bearings seem slight loose on the spindle, but not sloppy. This is an axle with spacers. Here’s is a pic from under

replyreply
Looks good from what I can see.

Here's a pic of my worn spindle that needs to be replaced -

On the right in the pic you can see the step (wear is on the bottom surface). It's right at the limit of being usable, but it DOES wear the insides of the tires.

As far as your bearings, the only way to really check is to measure the OD of the spindle, and the ID of the bearing. I couldn't tell you what the spec is, just that mine have .008" of slop due to the worn spindle. I would guess that .001-.003 would be good.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Andre_The_Giant
Okay thanks everyone, I changed the bearings just to be safe. Hope the spindle is good, will keep an eye on it. Thank you Rawze for the bearing video, making it easy!    

replyreply
Okay thanks everyone, I changed the bearings just to be safe. Hope the spindle is good, will keep an eye on it. Thank you Rawze for the bearing video, making it easy! [attachment=6109]

replyreply
Used the BBQ grill, I like it.

How did you set the bearing preload on new bearings?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.