DEF Doser Valve
02-29-2020, (Subject: DEF Doser Valve ) 
RE: DEF Doser Valve
JimT I totally understand. My truck is running good. No check engine lights, has not asked for a parked Regen since I bought it. Six months, sixty thousand miles and no troubles. When it does and I know full well that it will happen have to eliminate that problem.

Have bigger fish to fry, a cold oil leak on front structure. Fun fun.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
03-30-2020, (Subject: DEF Doser Valve ) 
(02-29-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  JimT I totally understand. My truck is running good. No check engine lights, has not asked for a parked Regen since I bought it. Six months, sixty thousand miles and no troubles. When it does and I know full well that it will happen have to eliminate that problem.

Have bigger fish to fry, a cold oil leak on front structure. Fun fun.

Just picked up my 2015 prostar + . I will try my best to maintain the emissions system , but if I decide to move on from it which I hope is later than sooner where can i get this job done at? thx.
replyreply
The getting hands dirty part you can do at home.

You will need a laptop with Cummins insite loaded on it. Then you will need an inline 6 reader to connect laptop to the truck. There are a few guys on here that can help with getting the truck tuned correctly.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
Thx , and yeah thats what i hear.
replyreply
03-31-2020, (Subject: DEF Doser Valve ) 
(03-30-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Just picked up my 2015 prostar + . I will try my best to maintain the emissions system , but if I decide to move on from it which I hope is later than sooner where can i get this job done at? thx.

I did what I had to do to stay in business, but it certainly wasn't what I wanted to do. From what I've seen/read there's a few common things that lead down this road:

* Aging engine, burning enough oil and/or coolant that the doc and dpf get restricted causing more and more frequent regens.

* Neglected Aftertreatment systems. EGR, DOC, DPF, SCR parts and sensors never being cleaned or replaced until it's causing tons of issues.

* Worn out Aftertreatment components. They don't last forever and the more they are neglected, the older the engine gets and the more regen cycles they go through, the faster they wear out. Be it air flow restrictions, catalyst degradation or failing mechanical components.

My advice, do your best to keep the system clean and all the components in good working order. When, not if, you start having issues we can help you troubleshoot. Those systems are so tightly integrated that an issue with one thing may manifest as something completely different. If you reach the point of it being a loosing battle then consider your options.

------------

If I remember your description of that Prostar+ correctly, if it's white then I'd wager it was originally a JBHunt tractor. I had the fortune of driving a brand new 2015 Prostar+ w/ ISX (daycab) for about 6 months while I worked for them. They were replacing all the screwed up Maxxforce engines and our account happened to be ready to cycle equipment. It was a nice truck, but with only 10 gears and a really tall rear ratio, possibly 2.90 or there about, it was a little sluggish hauling anything heavy or in any good hills. Between the gearing and the different limitations on speed (62-64 depending how good your fuel mileage was) you didn't have much choice except to lug it all the time. Even if you wound it up 1600 or 1800rpm, once you shifted you were back down 1200 or so which is not a good place to lug that engine.

On the bright side, the Bendex radar systems in that model year were much better then the older generations and rarely locked up the brakes while driving under a bridge or something.

I think they were going about 25k on oil changes and our units were getting around 7mpg on average. I really liked those trucks and it's one of the reasons I only looked at trucks with an ISX when I started shopping. However, the rear end ratio and the 10 speed tranny were not going to cut it for me. And now I know that the engines probably saw a lot of abuse as a result of their specs.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
04-05-2020, (Subject: DEF Doser Valve ) 
Thx good feedback Jim T. I picked up the truck this past Monday 3/30. The truck is white and a sleeper but was owned by an outfit in southern Illinois. The outfits name is Ed Lewis trucking.

After picking truck up I took it straight to my local shop. I had them set the overhead and they inspected the top end ( camshaft etc... ) everything checked out which was excellent news. I also purchased parts for EGR tune up will have those installed and having them inspect doser injector , i told them to advise. I know DPF filter and DOC was baked and tested for flow as i was given ppw for that. Only question marks after that i believe will be Nox sensors ( 2 right? ) and DEF doser.

This is my first emissions truck and I gotta admit im a little nervous. Im really glad i got on this site as all the info on here is very helpful. I didnt know an EGR tune up even existed! that alone maybe saved me a tow!

Rawze has done a great service to his fellow truckers with this forum. Alot of knowledgeable people on here.

Going to get truck back next week then i will start process to get it on with JBHUNT.
I will post how its running with first loads. Truck is stock CM2350 at 450 hp , 3.36 rears with a 10 spd. I know about those rears , Im in Illinois ( flat) so we'll see how it goes with them.

I will be ordering cummins insite really soon here. I will also be trying to get in touch with Unilever or Mamaburt hoping to get the tune Magard ( kool guy)has , as i spoke with him on the phone and he said all is well.
replyreply
(04-05-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  ...
Truck is stock CM2350 at 450 hp

you forgot to include changing all the guts of the fuel pump (+ fuel pump cam inspection) while you are at it if it has 400k miles on the odd or more. Cleaning the DEf filter screen, DEF injector, Inspection fo the Decomp tube, Clean (or replace) the DPF Doser injector behind the turbo, Repalce the Delta-P sensor on the DPF itself, Preperation towards replacing all 3 of the NOx sensors if they have more than 250k miles on them (if they show signs of acting up or reading wrong) ,.. etc.etc.etc... and this does not even include the truck side, like re-torque all the rear axle hubs, shocks, oil replaced in all the gearboxes, all the other 250k and 500k maint. the truck will require. etc.etc.etc. + all proper inspections/testing of the CAC, pressure testing + PH of the coolant system, etc.etc.etc.

-- Your journey towards a reliable piece of equipment is a long one once you have purchased it. -- that or you are doing nothing but driving it blind and praying loke a fool, banking your future on nothing but guesses and blind faith. -- Not a good place to be in when starting out with your first truck.

- Ask yourself,.. "What would Rawze do to this thing before putting it on the roads?"... and then set out to do them.

If one person can do it,.. so can someone else.

It is like that scene in the movie 'Armegeddon' with bruce willis, (about 39:50 minutes into the movie) when they are inspecting the nasa version of the drilling rig and they say "All these rubber hoses gotta go, count em up",.. and then they start tearing it apart, throwing all the junk off it they know will not work properly.lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Yes forgot to post about the fuel pump, I wll be taking care of that as well. As for the other things it will be a work in progress. But best believe they will get done. This is my 4th , but first emissions truck. Im a little confused how many doser related parts are there? Doser injector (7TH injector) and DEF doser? im having the first one inspected. Thanks for the advice.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.