2012 2250 EGR Tune up and other things
01-21-2020, (Subject: 2012 2250 EGR Tune up and other things ) 
2012 2250 EGR Tune up and other things
Hello, I purchased Last year a 2013 Kenworth with a 2012 ISX 2250. It has 450,000 miles and I bought it from a Canadian fleet. I’ve been doing a lot of research thanks to rawze and some other people and I’m going to be doing a EGR tune up because I believe it has never had one before.
I’m going to be changing to the following,
Imap sensor
Delta P
Exhaust back pressure sensor

I haven’t tore into it yet but I’m wondering if I need a new Def dozer injecter? How does one tell if they need a new one? Kinda more expensive then the $100 sensor so I want to make sure before I waste money.

I’m also wondering if I need a new particulate filter, I will inspect it when I get it out but again how does one tell when they need a new one?

Is the SCR can different then the particulate filter? And what is the doc and where is it located? Should these both be cleaned or replaced and how does one tell?

How about a DPF delta P sensor? Where is this located and should it be changed?

Is there anything else I should be checking into? Should I take the intake off and inspect it for soot or isn’t it necessary?

I have high oil consumption when I’m hauling heavy loads (150,000 lbs+) I recently switched oils to shell T5 so am waiting to see how it does.

I’m also going to buy a amsoil oil filtration system.

I also am using a little bit of antifreeze, my last oil sample said none in the oil, don’t have any obvious leaks or any leaking on the ground, any thoughts?

This is my first isx engine with def, we own a towing business so I’ve benefited a lot from the horror stories of the emissions systems. I would like to learn more about what I can do to prolong my engine and take the best care of it that I can. We have our own maintenance facility and will be doing all the work ourselves. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
replyreply
RE: 2012 2250 EGR Tune up and other things
Just replace the doser. If all the sensors are original chances are the doser is too.
You need to get the Cummins insite 7.6.2 program and an inline adapter like this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2895748426
That will tell you if your dpf is plugged and a lot of other diagnostics to help you work on your engine. It's a MUST if your going to own one of these motors.
For your coolant loss problem you'll need one of these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2177380668
You might also need an adapter that this doesn't come with, you'll have to do the research. Once you get it, pressurize your cooling system and find the leaks.

Your also gonna need that inline adapter to let unilevers in :)

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-21-2020 )Bartnik_24 Wrote:  Hello, I purchased Last year a 2013 Kenworth with a 2012 ISX 2250. It has 450,000 miles and I bought it from a Canadian fleet. I’ve been doing a lot of research thanks to rawze and some other people and I’m going to be doing a EGR tune up because I believe it has never had one before.
I’m going to be changing to the following,
Imap sensor
Delta P
Exhaust back pressure sensor

I haven’t tore into it yet but I’m wondering if I need a new Def dozer injecter? How does one tell if they need a new one? Kinda more expensive then the $100 sensor so I want to make sure before I waste money.

When you remove the DPF doser look for signs of it leaking. The pipe and surrounding area should be dry. Also, most likely it will be packed with soot. Clean that up. I think there is a test for the doser too, but I wouldn't worry about that unless you are having regen problems and suspect the doser.

As for the DEF doser valve, that is located on the decomp tube on the exhaust system. It sits between the DPF and the SCR canisters. That valve can be removed and cleaned of white DEF buildup. It can also be tested while unmounted. This one you are looking to make sure it sprays DEF. Refer to the appropriate sections in the maintenance manual on quickserve for detail instructions.

(01-21-2020 )Bartnik_24 Wrote:  I’m also wondering if I need a new particulate filter, I will inspect it when I get it out but again how does one tell when they need a new one?

Airflow restriction is the main problem with a bad DPF. The main things to look for with the DPF are viusaul signs of physical damage (cuts, gouges), melted spots, wet spots, uneven buildup of soot (a sign that parts of the filter are completely clogged). The is a bulletin on quickserve with color photos depicting different things to look for. At 450,000mi, if the filter has never been removed and cleaned then it wouldn't hurt to take the DPF and the DOC to a shop and have them professionally cleaned and flow tested. Fine ash can build up over time in the tiny passages of the filter. Professional cleaning can usually help to remove this buildup. I paid $450 for a shop to do this for my DPF just last month.

(01-21-2020 )Bartnik_24 Wrote:  Is the SCR can different then the particulate filter? And what is the doc and where is it located? Should these both be cleaned or replaced and how does one tell?

The exhaust flows out of the engine, through the back of the turbo, past the DPF doser injector and down the exhaust pipe to the front of the first can. The front section of this can is the DOC, the rear section is the DPF. After that it usually snakes around to a smaller diameter can. That is the decomposition tube where the DEF is sprayed into the exhaust. From there it makes it's way to a larger final can. This is the SCR where the NOx is converted to Nitrogen and Water Vapor.

The SCR can can't be cleaned internally. The decomp tube should be inspected for dried (crystalised) DEF buildup. Most have a screen inside that can collect buildup over time, especially if the DEF doser valve is leaking. (sometimes resulting in what people call a DEF volcano) The Decomp tube can be removed and pressure washed with hot water. The DEF buildup also is supposed to melt at about 200 degrees so a good regen cycle will usually help clean it out.

(01-21-2020 )Bartnik_24 Wrote:  How about a DPF delta P sensor? Where is this located and should it be changed?

The DPF delta-P sensor is most likely strapped to the DPF unit with 2 short rubber tubes coming off of it. It's probably a good idea to replace this as well if you're not sure when it was last serviced. It can clog up with soot.

(01-21-2020 )Bartnik_24 Wrote:  Is there anything else I should be checking into? Should I take the intake off and inspect it for soot or isn’t it necessary?

The intake piping is all removed and cleaned during an EGR tune-up.

See Rawze's videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...PkaRv4yCyu

(01-21-2020 )Bartnik_24 Wrote:  I have high oil consumption when I’m hauling heavy loads (150,000 lbs+) I recently switched oils to shell T5 so am waiting to see how it does.

I’m also going to buy a amsoil oil filtration system.

I also am using a little bit of antifreeze, my last oil sample said none in the oil, don’t have any obvious leaks or any leaking on the ground, any thoughts?

I'll let others chime in about coolant leaks as that is a big subject itself. However the first thing I would check is the radiator pressure cap. It's fairly cheap to replace and that might be all you need.

Also, when doing the EGR tuneup pay close attention to the piping after the EGR cooler. If the cooler is leaking you will be able to tell from the build-up and wetness. Same goes for the DPF filter. If coolant is making it's way in to the exhaust you'll see signs in the pipe and on the face of the DPF.

(01-21-2020 )Bartnik_24 Wrote:  This is my first isx engine with def, we own a towing business so I’ve benefited a lot from the horror stories of the emissions systems. I would like to learn more about what I can do to prolong my engine and take the best care of it that I can. We have our own maintenance facility and will be doing all the work ourselves. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last of all, take some time and gather replacement gaskets for all the exhaust joints that you will be disconnecting. There are a bunch of different sizes for different sections so pay close attention to which ones are which. At a minimum you need to replace the ones on the DPF/DOC and probably the gasket and thermal isolator for the DPF doser injector. They also recommend that the large clamps around the DPF/DOC be replaced when you replace the gaskets.

It's probably also a good time to pressure test the intake from the turbo to the manifold. Look for leaks. Might need to replace the silicone boots between the pipes, they don't last forever.

Make sure you go set up a free account with cummins and register your engine. They give you all the information you need to maintain these engines and locate parts.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard
01-23-2020, (Subject: 2012 2250 EGR Tune up and other things ) 
Thanks for the replies!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.