New guy
01-21-2020, (Subject: New guy ) 
New guy
Hope I post this in right place and image works. After reading a lot of info on this great forum I decided to pull the valve cover on one of our trucks to inspect the cams and adjust the valves.
Found two bolts completely loose and backed out that hold the injector rocker shaft for cylinders 1-3. Try to make a long story short we bought this truck used (in 2014?) with about 400k miles its a 2005 pete 379 with a cm870. After running it a year i think it was (we only put about 5k a year on our trucks) we had the truck inframed at a local private owned repair shop. It cost us a fortune and i wish i had done the inframe myself but didnt have the confidence back then. Anyways after seeing these loose bolts (this is the first its been opened up since inframe) i wonder what else is fubared in this thing. I know i need to replace the jake harness as the woven loom is deteriorating along with the exterior engine harness loom.
We farm in upstate NY and have 5 trucks all with different engines, haha, that i get to keep alive.

./uploads/202001/post_4702_1579660716_79e406b9324286e41c4ae99e34248aa9.jpg
replyreply
01-21-2020, (Subject: New guy ) 
RE: New guy
well thats scary.

should send the pic to the shop that did this botch job.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-22-2020, (Subject: New guy ) 
You can also take the knowledge from quickserve and from watching all of Rawze's inframe video's and go have a conversation with the actual tech that did the overhaul. Most shops will let you talk to a tech about the work they performed. Just a casual conversation where you pepper in questions like liner protrusion, torque spec on various things (head bolts, rockers, valve cover bolts, manifold and turbo bolts) what kind of loctite did they use on the cam gears, do they use OEM or aftermarketparts? Their answers will tell you everything you need to know about how the engine was put together.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , tree98
Looks like he didn't have enough time for the plus 60deg but had time for the 'anti-liability paint marks' lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard
Yes i should go talk with the tech at the shop. I been reading quickserve and looked into the torque procedure. I set my wrench to 50ft lbs for the initial torque then back off a turn then torque to 22ft lbs then torque turn 60 degrees. First bolt torqued 50 no problem second one the damn bolt snapped well before hitting 50!!? If im looking at the paint marks correctly it looks like they torque turned them 120 degrees instead of 60(they went two "flats"). Would that have stressed these bolts enough to cause that one to break? Didnt want to screw with the injector adjustments because i dont have a in-lb dial torque wrench but i guess ill find one and get that done. At this point i think i need to pull all the bolts and make sure they are torqued correctly. Any pointers on what brand or where you guys got your dial gauge torque wrenches? thanks
   ./uploads/202001/post_4702_1579704164_74b13d964c30d407db095a6d15756340.jpg
replyreply
(01-22-2020 )Signature620 Wrote:  Looks like he didn't have enough time for the plus 60deg but had time for the 'anti-liability paint marks' lol

My motor was full of those when me and Rawze tore it down for the second in frame...
replyreply
(01-22-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 )Signature620 Wrote:  Looks like he didn't have enough time for the plus 60deg but had time for the 'anti-liability paint marks' lol

My motor was full of those when me and Rawze tore it down for the second in frame...

I recently got a new Snap on electronic Torque wrench. I know there very proud of there stuff but this has torque and degrees at the push of a button as well you can set it at a torque in say Ft Lb and toggle threw nm,inlb,and convert easy. Always had click type but this is kinda fun and im anal on torque. Tearing down a 2006 CM 870 that has 1,400,000 km on it and was warranty overhauled by a stealership at 358,000 and i cant believe it got this far the thing was put together with a gun.Had to drill out 4 pan bolts the front cover has 3 stripped holes, the rear cover has 2, They put silicone in to hold the bolts. They have never seen Rawzes tips on dropping some torque when fastening into aluminum and the windage pan or block stiffener had to cut off 4 bolts with a torch cause the heads were so f...ed up.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , tree98 , Signature620
These idiots and there power tools.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
The Snap On torque angle wrenches are fantastic. The bolts on the stiffener plate and oil pump are very easy to round with a gun if you dont have a really solid socket. Snap On impact sockets are quite spongey and I've ruined stiffener bolts with brand new ones. A cheap 15mm impact is perfect for them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.