Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally
01-24-2020, (Subject: Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally ) 
Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally
This will be the 2nd time I've attempted to seal this up. The harness has 1.3 million miles and 16 years of age. It owes me nothing so I can break it or ultimately have it fail and I'll just have to go buy another one anyway. So I took a few pics of pulling it apart. Maybe it will help some one. All the pics are after I got it apart. Its brittle from age so everything didn't come apart nicely. But I imagine a less aged one would come apart nicer.

Oil in the pins and connector

The passthrough plug itself

I took my favorite small pry tool and o ring pick (a walnut pick) and gently pried the back off. Some of the small tabs broke. No big deal as long as the edge lip stays intact so it can snap back together at the end.

Next comes a plastic wire separator. It broke up a bit picking it out and sliding it up the wires. But all it does is make sure the wires stay separated.

The next and last thing to come out is the small blue empty slot pins. These are where I believe they leak oil through. I pulled all of them out and pushed High Temp RTV silcone in to everyone of them then reinstalled them. Then put the wire separator back in place and RTV'ed that. Then I slid one side of the back, back in under the lip and took channel locks and squeezed the other side in till it snapped in place. I finished it off by sealing the whole way around. I'll let it sit for cure time and then I'll see if it holds. I really have no doubt this will do the trick. But time will tell.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
RE: Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally
The final sealing

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , JimT
I've been meaning to post a thread about this. I reseal them all the time. 9 times out of 10 it works well, and it's well worth a shot since a new harness is likely to leak within a few months - Even on an engine with acceptable blowby.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
01-25-2020, (Subject: Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally ) 
whenever i install an engine brake harness here, I seal and pack them tight them with RTV red. -- HOWEVER....

they tend not to leak unless there is blo-by issues, OR the crank case breather circuit (or filter on all newer engines) is not drilled out and is getting clogged up all the time.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-25-2020, (Subject: Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally ) 
Red RTV here, it works.
replyreply
01-26-2020, (Subject: Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally ) 
What's the difference between ultra black and ultra red? Looks like it's about 50° of temp resistance. Both are sensor safe. Black is OE gasket maker and Red is heavy duty (such as towing) whatever that means. Both are rated well above the flash point of engine oil (~425°)
replyreply
01-26-2020, (Subject: Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally ) 
Red is what I normally have on hand...
replyreply
01-27-2020, (Subject: Engine brake harness passthrough leaking internally ) 
(01-26-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  What's the difference between ultra black and ultra red? Looks like it's about 50° of temp resistance. Both are sensor safe. Black is OE gasket maker and Red is heavy duty (such as towing) whatever that means. Both are rated well above the flash point of engine oil (~425°)

I use red for most things... I use ultra-grey for rear housings, metal-to-metal, and as a pipe thread sealant on all my brass fitings. lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.