Charge air cooler
01-26-2020, (Subject: Charge air cooler ) 
Charge air cooler
Is a peterbilt and a kenworth both paccar? I have 2012 peterbilt 587 and need a charge air cooler. The peterbilt store wants $1600 for a new oem so if they are the same can I call a KW store and get the same part? I want best fuel economy so would oem be best for that or aftermarket?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: farmer70
RE: Charge air cooler
As long as the part numbers match, go with the least expensive. I usually play them against each other, call one, then call the other one back to see how badly they want to sell that part.
replyreply
OEM all the way, aftermarket intercoolers have flow issues compared to stock narrower passages and poor quality in general. You should be able to call KW if you have a part number since it technically is a Paccar part especially if you find one cheaper.
replyreply
(01-26-2020 )Billy7871 Wrote:  Is a peterbilt and a kenworth both paccar? I have 2012 peterbilt 587 and need a charge air cooler. The peterbilt store wants $1600 for a new oem so if they are the same can I call a KW store and get the same part? I want best fuel economy so would oem be best for that or aftermarket?

They are both PACCAR, but they may not all sell the same parts. It's a big price tag, but it's best to stick with the OEM on this one. I remember finding an aftermarket CAC from a well known midwest/online retailer for about half that price, but after reading Rawze's information about OEM vs Aftermarket CAC's I decided not to chance it with aftermarket.

I would however shop around online or at dealers in different parts of the country for OEM CAC's. You might get lucky and find one at a better price. And if you do, please let me know as I'll be looking to replace mine within the year.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
What about a well known aftermarket? Are they no good? Price wise they are about the same as Paccar.
replyreply
As the guys said, flow issues. None of these aftermarket guys can give you those numbers, and that is the issue. Stick with the OEM in regards to a CAC, as they are built specifically for your truck. Damaging or shortening the life of your turbo is not worth it, and then the possibility of mpg losses. Some items are fine aftermarket wise, the CAC is not one of those items.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: farmer70 , hhow55
(01-26-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  As the guys said, flow issues. None of these aftermarket guys can give you those numbers, and that is the issue. Stick with the OEM in regards to a CAC, as they are built specifically for your truck. Damaging or shortening the life of your turbo is not worth it, and then the possibility of mpg losses. Some items are fine aftermarket wise, the CAC is not one of those items.
Good to know probably going to be replacing mine in the near future. Thanks
replyreply
01-27-2020, (Subject: Charge air cooler ) 
Why would someone plan to change a charge cooler in the future. If it’s leaking today then change it ASAP. If not keep running it. A rock or a turbo failure or a deer will tell you when you need a new one. Blow it clean with air gun and keep running it. Save the money.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
01-27-2020, (Subject: Charge air cooler ) 
I replaced my CAC at around 900,000 miles. It passed all of the tests with flying colors. I hosed it out, blew it out etc. Still having issues, so I replaced, not knowing 100% if that would solve the issues I was having with boost. Sure enough, that new OEM CAC fixed the problem. After time, I think they just lose their efficiency with dirt and pollen, etc. Maybe I am blowing smoke up my rear end, but replacing that 900,000 mile CAC did make a positive difference.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.