First time truck owner and first time poster
02-08-2020, (Subject: First time truck owner and first time poster ) 
First time truck owner and first time poster
Hey all. I just brought my first truck home, a Frieghtliner, she ain't nothing fancy but its what was in my budget. It has a CM2350 in it with about 445k and around 11000 hrs, I have already spent hours and hours trying to educate myself on this motor and my searches have led me here. I am looking for any helpful advice or tips I can get on this motor. One of the biggest things I had heard of was the fuel pump issue and thought buying a 2350 I was getting past that but have since discovered that these still may need to be updated? What can you tell me about that? Secondly for how I use a truck which is a lot of short trips and idling I thought that at some point I am going to be happier demandated? I have heard about the famous @m*m^2 for ISX and have read a lot of Rawze's info and am pretty nervous about having just anybody tune my truck. My head is sorta spinning from everything I have read. Any comments to help learn about this motor will be appreciated.

Thanks
replyreply
RE: First time truck owner and first time poster
Life expectancy of your fuel pump is 400,000 miles. If it is still painted factory red, you need to rebuild ASAP, you are running on borrowed time. The 2350 and idling, not good. Carbon packing is the issue, your motor still produces a lot of soot, soot that packs in your motor and chews up the internal parts like your camshaft and lobes. Best to install an oil bypass filter, Amsoil makes a universal unit, you will need one if you idle like you state.

First, address the fuel pump. Second, have you inspected the camshaft? You will need to do this ASAP. Then you need to run the overhead, very important, as more than likely no one has ever cracked the top of the motor. Then you need to do an EGR tuneup and inspect the cans, you will need Cummins Insite and their In-line reader. You want to check the flow rate of the exhaust/emissions. Odds are it is time to remove the DOC and DPF filters to have baked and flow tested. Hopefully they are in good shape. You will also need to service the SCR system along with replacing Nox sensors, I believe there are two on your truck along with the fuel dosers, there are also two on your system.

Then there is the rest of the truck to start worrying about. Get the motor and emissions healthy, start with fuel pump, and then go down the list. A delete is the least of your concerns.

Or, call Mr Hagg in Griffin GA, make an appointment and let him go through your truck. If you are not mechanically inclined, I would take the truck to him, that way you know all of your issues will be addressed and repaired properly.

And remember, you are living on borrowed time with that fuel pump.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: sprayerman , hhow55
Don’t jump the gun on the delete. Legal tuning might be a better option if your able to do a lot of your own maintenance. Preventative maintenance is the name of the game.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , sprayerman
(02-08-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Life expectancy of your fuel pump is 400,000 miles. If it is still painted factory red, you need to rebuild ASAP, you are running on borrowed time. The 2350 and idling, not good. Carbon packing is the issue, your motor still produces a lot of soot, soot that packs in your motor and chews up the internal parts like your camshaft and lobes. Best to install an oil bypass filter, Amsoil makes a universal unit, you will need one if you idle like you state.

First, address the fuel pump. Second, have you inspected the camshaft? You will need to do this ASAP. Then you need to run the overhead, very important, as more than likely no one has ever cracked the top of the motor. Then you need to do an EGR tuneup and inspect the cans, you will need Cummins Insite and their In-line reader. You want to check the flow rate of the exhaust/emissions. Odds are it is time to remove the DOC and DPF filters to have baked and flow tested. Hopefully they are in good shape. You will also need to service the SCR system along with replacing Nox sensors, I believe there are two on your truck along with the fuel dosers, there are also two on your system.

Then there is the rest of the truck to start worrying about. Get the motor and emissions healthy, start with fuel pump, and then go down the list. A delete is the least of your concerns.

Or, call Mr Hagg in Griffin GA, make an appointment and let him go through your truck. If you are not mechanically inclined, I would take the truck to him, that way you know all of your issues will be addressed and repaired properly.

And remember, you are living on borrowed time with that fuel pump.

The fuel pump sounds like the first biggest concern. I called the engine serial number into the dealer and they pulled the warranty info. When the truck was three years old with roughly 300k on it the fuel pump was pulled apart inspected and had new tappets installed. Would you move forward assuming its been taken care of or would you have it done again? Thanks
replyreply
(02-08-2020 )sprayerman Wrote:  ..
The fuel pump sounds like the first biggest concern. I called the engine serial number into the dealer and they pulled the warranty info. When the truck was three years old with roughly 300k on it the fuel pump was pulled apart inspected and had new tappets installed. Would you move forward assuming its been taken care of or would you have it done again? Thanks

have ALL the guts changed, and inspect the crank inside the pump, housing, etc. while at it. The 'certified network of nitwits' are the least trustworthy place you could possibly get info from, have anything done at, nor trust anything those morons will say. OEM = idiots with wrenches.. That what it should stand for.

- The tappets are the least of the worries on that thing at this point.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , sprayerman
(02-08-2020 )sprayerman Wrote:  ... When the truck was three years old with roughly 300k on it the fuel pump was pulled apart inspected and had new tappets installed. Would you move forward assuming its been taken care of or would you have it done again? Thanks..

Never take anyone's work for anything when it comes to your livelihood
. I would certainly spend the time and few dollars on a head gasket for the fuel pump just to verify what they are telling you. As far as I've seen, in my short time of research, the HPFP is the most detrimental component to the cm22 & 2350 engines. I would not want to assume anything when it comes to such a critical component...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , sprayerman , Waterloo
Go to the top of the page, click on "My Book" and read it start to finish. Then start doing the things outlined in there before you put it on the road. It has a pretty thorough list. As well as rebuilding the fuel pump. Lots of good threads on here about it, just do a search "2250 fuel pump", "2350 fuel pump".

I would agree with everyone else. Take the fuel pump head apart and replace the guts. For a few hundred bucks and an hour of your time you will gain the knowledge that the pump is in the best possible condition it could be and should last you another 400,000 miles before another preventative rebuild is warranted.

Here's a YouTube playlist I started for useful ISX/truck videos. A bunch of fuel pump related stuff in there. There's also Rawze's YouTube

445,000 mi with 11,000 hours gives a lifetime average of 40 mph. While better than most it's still not great. EGR tune-up should be high priority. At that age EGR cooler and EGR valve need to be inspected for possible failure.

Get set up with an Inline 6 and a laptop with Insite. From checking codes, to running tests, to just monitoring data, it's indispensable. I've read other threads suggesting ebay as a good source...

I wouldn't worry about demandate until you have a good reason, such as a costly component replacement. Get the truck running in top condition and monitor its performance. As long as you get at least an hour of solid drive time during your day then it should be able to keep up with normal soot loads.

You definitely found the right place for ISX info and help. Learn as much as you can, get your hands dirty doing the work yourself. You'll have the peace of mind knowing exactly what is going on with your engine and the ability to fix many of the problems that pop up without the labor cost eating in to you bottom line. And believe me, at this point in the truck's life there will be plenty of labor!

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: sprayerman
Appreciate the response guys. You mention as long as your on the road at least hour...that's what concerns me, I'm local enough sometimes an hour is rare.
replyreply
(02-08-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 )sprayerman Wrote:  ..

have ALL the guts changed, and inspect the crank inside the pump, housing, etc. while at it. The 'certified network of nitwits' are the least trustworthy place you could possibly get info from, have anything done at, nor trust anything those morons will say. OEM = idiots with wrenches.. That what it should stand for.

- The tappets are the least of the worries on that thing at this point.

Ok bare with me I'm just trying to learn about this fuel pump. When you say change all the guts are you talking barrels, plungers and tappets? Even if they appear to have been done once already? Thanks
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.