Replacing oil pump (should I do the dime mod?)
02-14-2020, (Subject: Replacing oil pump (should I do the dime mod?) ) 
RE: Replacing oil pump (should I do the dime mod?)
Uh oh

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
you got much bigger issues. Start pulling number 1 main and rod and look for metal. Cut the oil filter apart and check in there. Pull the head off the fuel pump and check that and check the front geartrain those look from there. if you find metal anywhere your in for a long hard pull.

Its all blowed up! hope you saved for a inframe.
replyreply
This appears to be the fuel pump came apart. I stopped the engine and was going to replace the oil pump and rebuild the fuel pump this weekend but it seems to late. I had it towed to the shop so they can fix it. What would be involved in cleaning all the metal out of the engine? Any ideas of cost of this failure?
replyreply
What shop did you take it to? Dealer will only do what Cummins has listed in the bulletin unless you state to do something different. This will include new oil pump. New main and rod bearings. New oil cooler. New fuel pump. And 2 oil changes. One to flush and 2nd will be what you leave on. Looking at at least $15,000 just for that. I’ve been there. My 2250 did that. But was no where near what you got going on in that pan. I lucked out. Mine just started to flake off and set my light off. No chunks of metal
replyreply
(02-14-2020 )Soulreaver0102 Wrote:  What shop did you take it to? Dealer will only do what Cummins has listed in the bulletin unless you state to do something different. This will include new oil pump. New main and rod bearings. New oil cooler. New fuel pump. And 2 oil changes. One to flush and 2nd will be what you leave on. Looking at at least $15,000 just for that. I’ve been there. My 2250 did that. But was no where near what you got going on in that pan. I lucked out. Mine just started to flake off and set my light off. No chunks of metal

I towed to a shop here in Rome GA. They do a lot of inframes and out of frames but I don't think he has dealt with this before. I'm worried to death.
replyreply
honestly if it is that pump and you find metal your better of buying a shortblock and building it. Cleaning those things requires complete block remoal and front and rear structure removal and hot tanking the whole thing to do it properly and you will never get the head clean.

It is basically a boat anchor if it is the fuel pump, front geartrain.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Andre_The_Giant
(02-14-2020 )Unilevers Wrote:  honestly if it is that pump and you find metal your better of buying a shortblock and building it. Cleaning those things requires complete block remoal and front and rear structure removal and hot tanking the whole thing to do it properly and you will never get the head clean.

It is basically a boat anchor if it is the fuel pump, front geartrain.

You are just full of good news.
replyreply
02-15-2020, (Subject: Replacing oil pump (should I do the dime mod?) ) 
Ended up with a complete crate motor when my 2350 pump came apart last spring. No light no nothing just oil psi issues so bad i thought it was a sensor gone nuts and thats what was found. Shrapnel in the pan and bearings cut down to copper.
replyreply
02-15-2020, (Subject: Replacing oil pump (should I do the dime mod?) ) 
https://www.facebook.com/HaggaiAutomotive/

Have your truck moved to this wonderful shop.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.