Air leak
02-22-2020, (Subject: Air leak ) 
Air leak
2009 prostar with air release Fontaine 5th wheel. When I try to release a trailer I can hear a air leak under the cab. I crawled under and it appears to be a block beside the trany it appears the block is leaking not the fitting I could be wrong I need to clean it off and take a good look at it
If by chance the block is leaking any idea on cost or a part number?
replyreply
02-22-2020, (Subject: Air leak ) 
RE: Air leak
That block beside the trany can be taken apart. You can replace just the one module that's leaking air. There is o-rings between each. Sorry, I don't know the cost.
replyreply
02-23-2020, (Subject: Air leak ) 
I have 2 modules I believe this one is just for the air release 5th wheel.
replyreply
ice likes to build up in that (mostly plastic) block and crack it too. just thought I would mention it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
mine stretched the plastic tabs at each end. After cleaning and replacing all the o-rings it stopped leaking for about a month then started leaking between the valves again. I found a aftermarket provider for the main 5 valve block and replaced it. I have not replaced the one for the 5th wheel release as it doesn't work so I just removed the air line from the air dryer and plugged the hole. I just have to get out and pull the lever...no big deal as it's a 30 second chore.
replyreply
(02-23-2020 )Nilao Wrote:  mine stretched the plastic tabs at each end. After cleaning and replacing all the o-rings it stopped leaking for about a month then started leaking between the valves again. I found a aftermarket provider for the main 5 valve block and replaced it. I have not replaced the one for the 5th wheel release as it doesn't work so I just removed the air line from the air dryer and plugged the hole. I just have to get out and pull the lever...no big deal as it's a 30 second chore.

I never quite understood the big to do about air release 5th wheel, other than some corporate way to limit liability for driver injuries. You gotta get out and crank the landing gear down and unhook the air/electric lines anyway. I have one of those on my tractor and almost never use it.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
It's made so the rookies can drop trailer after forgetting to do air lines and landing gear...

Other than that I view it as a safety feature if your box or reefer go up on smoke it can be used as an emergency get out of Dodge button.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
I've seen guys try to drop their trailers without dropping the gear. Most of them didn't punch the throttle fast enough and the kingpin got hooked up on the back of the frame. Rookies...

While completely unrelated, I also watched my terminal manager at a dedicated account, who supposedly drove trucks, jumped the kingpin over the fifth wheel and got it stuck in front of the 5th wheel. He was scratching his head trying to figure out how he'd get out from under it. The trailer was yard use only and overloaded with steel, too heavy to crank the gear. I had him drop the airbags, grabbed some dunnage and put in on top of the 5th wheel. Then raised the airbags up. We were then able to crank the landing gear down more and get the tractor out. What was that company... J B ... something?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.