How much gear lube to add?
07-06-2016, (Subject: How much gear lube to add? ) 
RE: How much gear lube to add?
(07-06-2016 )simon999 Wrote:  It would be interesting too see how the oil sample looks gear oil in the engine

I sample mine at nearly every oil change, mandate is removed and was the same time I started using the Sta-Lube gear oil. The oil samples were very good up until my motor failed due to the head issue. When the motor was disassembled, all of the parts and pieces looked as good as Rawze's, very little if any wear, the cams looked new. The lower end was just starting to show wear. Pistons and liners were very nice. But, the one thing I did find in the History of this particular truck, is that the two previous owners were religious about the oil changes, every 12,000 miles, and it showed internally. They always ran Rotella T 15w-40.

When I switched to using gear oil, the oil analysis started looking better, what little metals I had actually started dropping over time. I did have one spike in copper, but I believe that was a glitch, and was the last oil analysis prior to my in frame. That sample was taken at a different Speedco than the one I have used for years. I attribute the spike in copper to their machine, as the parts were showing little to any wear when we got the motor apart at roughly 900,000 miles. I now swear by the gear oil, and have no plans of discontinuing its use. I should have my first sample in a few weeks when I change the oil again... We shall see.
replyreply
07-07-2016, (Subject: How much gear lube to add? ) 
Is this still a good idea to add gear oil to a late model Detroit DD16 with all the emission system still operating? Some have said the additives may interfere with the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst.
replyreply
(07-07-2016 )uncleal13 Wrote:  Is this still a good idea to add gear oil to a late model Detroit DD16 with all the emission system still operating? Some have said the additives may interfere with the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst.

I would run it, it is just a heavier oil, you are using it for the additive package and its coating ability. It plays nicely with my Rotella T 15W-40. You would not even know it was in there just by looking at, or draining the oil. Just my .02
replyreply
(07-07-2016 )uncleal13 Wrote:  Is this still a good idea to add gear oil to a late model Detroit DD16 with all the emission system still operating? Some have said the additives may interfere with the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst.

Officially it does not meet guidelines as an engine oil. Use at your own risk.

I do know that sulfur is BAD for emissions in a DOC. GL-4 would be a better choice in that case than GL-5. There is the possibility of sulfur-dioxide emissions, but how much of it gets to the DOC from the engine oil is dependent upon how much oil consumption you have I suppose, but even so, I doubt someone could measure it as it would be so small of an amount even if the engine was burning oil. That is why these newer trucks are required to have low sulfur fuel as well.

Those are my opinion on it any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
If memory serves me , gl5 is not recommended in anything with what they call
White metal bearings such as u find on rods mains an cams
replyreply
(07-06-2016 )Brock Wrote:  ...
It's a little late now as this motors nearing a teardown but I have switched to the gallon of gear lube... and I can't believe it cause I am very synthetic!

Results don't lie my friend.
Brock, seeing as how Sta-Lube isn't available locally what brand/kind are you using?
I haven't had a lot of success in finding oil manufactures additive quantities, or I just don't know what I'm looking at or for.
Or if you've found a local Sta-Lube supplier give it up buddy!

You aren't kidding on the "Results don't lie" which is why I am going the Sta-Lube route when I get my grubby little hands on some...

PS love your signature, me too

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
07-08-2016, (Subject: How much gear lube to add? ) 
(07-07-2016 )RPM1 Wrote:  If memory serves me , gl5 is not recommended in anything with what they call
White metal bearings such as u find on rods mains an cams

You are referring to this info that is spammed on the internet. Here is my thoughts on that artricle...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...26#pid1126

AND...

Here are my own actual results of running several hundred thousand miles with GL-5 gear lube in my engine...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...81#pid2481

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-08-2016, (Subject: How much gear lube to add? ) 
(07-07-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 )Brock Wrote:  ...
It's a little late now as this motors nearing a teardown but I have switched to the gallon of gear lube... and I can't believe it cause I am very synthetic!

Results don't lie my friend.
Brock, seeing as how Sta-Lube isn't available locally what brand/kind are you using?
I haven't had a lot of success in finding oil manufactures additive quantities, or I just don't know what I'm looking at or for.
Or if you've found a local Sta-Lube supplier give it up buddy!

You aren't kidding on the "Results don't lie" which is why I am going the Sta-Lube route when I get my grubby little hands on some...

PS love your signature, me too

I'm just putting in mobil synthetic 75/90. I've got a few pails left over from when I filled all my rears with synthetics. I bought them from bluewater in edmonton.... Haven't looked into the numbers or blends yet.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
07-10-2016, (Subject: How much gear lube to add? ) 
Well that was clearly a loaded question lol. Thanks so much for the overwhelming response and valuable input. Anywho, sorry it took me so long to get back, I was running hard on regional stuff to get home and didn't get around to replying until now.

So I wasn't questioning the validity of Rawze's claims, just pondering the appropriate amount for me to add. I actually agree with him completely due to my experience in the performance world and running an engine with a shim on bucket valvetrain. Our top ends need all of the additives they can get, especially zinc.

My initial reaction was also that the 18" spec sounds rather high. Any insight as to what the safe upper limit is and if 4.5" truly is a very tight engine?

-mandate is still on for now, buying a Nexiq and pyrometer in the next week or so to fix that
-I've done a basic cleaning egr tune up, buying sensors as soon as I can pick them up this week
-overhead is high up on my list but I am chasing a problem right now so it's going t be after that
-picked up a gallon of the Sta Lube GL-4 at Napa for $25 today, a nice surprise as it said $35 online and ended up being cheaper than amazon
-a bypass filter is also high on the list but I'm not sure which one to buy, iirc the OPS has something to evaporate fuel in the oil which could help seeing as I idle a fair amount...but dang that thing is pricey

That's funny you should mention the turbo Rawze because I think it's going out. I've had an intermittent squeal that I thought was a boost or exhaust leak. After getting an EGT 1 CEL I found a leaking ex man gasket so I replaced the set but the squeal is still there. Tested for boost leaks today and I have a couple of small ones, the coupler between the manifold egr pipe and the crossover tube and one little guy on the cac. I believe the turbo is going out though because I've been analyzing the squeal and now that I'm home in the Rockies I got some hard data. It only does it once it gets hot after a long hard climb like Vail or Eisenhower and once I start going back down with the Jakes on full it squeals from 20psi up. Giving it fuel it only makes a quick squeak as I pass 15-20psi. Also on these long pulls I finally saw a decrease in boost that got down to 20 at times, mostly 25-30 though(as opposed to the normal 38 when I'm giving it the beans). So if I understand correctly this should be the vanes sticking and I would have to have a special tool kit to clean and re-align them...so I figure I may as well just buy a new turbo, unless of course I can in fact clean them. Of course I'll test the actuator once I get the Nexiq but I have a feeling it's the turbo. Especially seeing as I have a bit too much in side play on the pressure side(haven't opened the back yet).

I'm curious as to what you meant about the turbo making the blow-by Rawze? Because the way I see it the only way the turbo could be responsible for blow-by is if it were overboosting. I have never seen mine do that.

As for the CAC, is the opinion still that OEM is best and does that apply to Paccar truck as opposed to this forum's beloved Internationals?

Oh and thanks for the tip on the amount Waterloo, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I can't believe that didn't cross my mind, it makes perfect sense. I guess because this whole gear oil in the engine thing is new to me.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.