Cm871 repeated same injector failure
07-06-2016, (Subject: Cm871 repeated same injector failure ) 
RE: Cm871 repeated same injector failure
(07-06-2016 )Inderjit Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I had a bad head on my CM871, it did not use any oil between oil changes, and the only coolant loss I had was due to internal pressure of the exhaust gas building in my motor, which forced the coolant out of the lines at the clamps. So, in other words, you don't always have coolant or oil loss with a bad head. If you take it in to another shop, stand there and babysit them, or better yet, get the truck to someone like Gearhead that knows what he is doing. I feel for you buddy, this sucks.

What problems were you having?

In my case, and everyone's is different, I was getting exhaust gas in the coolant system. I went to Napa and purchased their $30 block testing kit, that is how I discovered my bad head. When we had it all apart, there was never any definitive visual issues with the head. The gasket was iffy, but quite honestly, I still do not know the real cause of the exhaust pressure build up in the cooling system. And yes, the compressor was checked on more than one occasion along with the EGR cooler.

It would be worth it to head to Napa and get one of those kits, it only takes a minute or two to do the test. If you can unscrew the radiator cap, you can do the test.
replyreply
07-07-2016, (Subject: Cm871 repeated same injector failure ) 
My case was the opposite of Waterloo's. My heed was cracked on the intake side, the EG/coolant contaminant test of course revealed nothing. I complained about this problem for years to both KW & cummins to no avail. I had 56 of 62 oil analasys showing coolant contamination in my oil, and they still refused to believe it was possible; A) my head was cracked, B) I had a liner drop, or C) I had a cracked block. Nope, their answer was always "because you heavy haul and are always grossing >150,000lbs your coolant loss is normal, you're boiling it off!" Finally 3 months after warranty expired the head in my compressor went sideways and started pressuring the cooling system blowing coolant out and popping heater hoses out from under the clamps. I took it to cummins for the inframe, and guess what they said when they called me the day they pulled the head? "Hey Hammer, your head is cracked!" "No shi#t, yah don't say..." Was my reply.
Take a wild guess who's doing the next inframe on my motor if it needs one while I own it...

It will be that ugly bastard looking back at me when I shave in the morning.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Some of those injectors should have been covered under warranty. How much you want to bet they turned them in for a claim? -- I hope they didn't charge you and gave you credit for them. Stealerships are notorious for this. Making a warranty claim behind customers backs and charging customers for the work too.

I smell a rat somewhere on this one. Something is missing from this picture you are painting for us. Someone somewhere is not doing something, or perhaps those morons ripping you off are putting bad injectors in the same hole over and over and not bothering to do some good-old fashioned troubleshooting and taking you for your money instead. That is my theory, hopefully I am wrong about that.

---------

Inderjit, You say you have a CM871 in a 2010 prostar. It looks to me like your problem is 2-fold ...

ONE, you have a repeating problem/failure with the injector for cylinder #6 in your engine. I will assume for now that you are in fact loosing the injector for cylinder number 6 over and over, and that there are no other symptoms (not likely). I will also assume for a moment you have not been mis-informed ...

I only make those limited assumptions based on what you are posting etc. because I do not have engine E.S.P. ...

TWO,... This surmises that you have been taking it to a bunch of morons. I can see one injector failing,.. then ok, two, but at that point you know the problem is much bigger. If everything looked great on a boroscope, and you put an old injector in it and cylinder #6 fails AGAIN a third time with an older injector, piston and liner look good, no excess blowby ... Your problem at that point is very obvious!!!---- YOU GOT A PROBLEM IN THE HEAD!

If I were working on it and my truck did that the next move would be to REPLACE THE HEAD!!!!! with a brand new one (taking no chances there) long before I got to the 4th injector failure! and especially --- LONG BEFORE I SPENT $18,000 DOLLARS!!!! --- THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!. Last I checked, I am actually out here to make money with my truck,... Not lolly-gag around only to be jerked off by some dealer too lazy to do what is right.

So,.. the second problem you have is --- YOU HAVE BEEN TAKING IT TO THE WRONG PEOPLE TO HAVE IT FIXED! -- AND THEY SHOULD HAVE REPLACED THE HEAD LONG BEFORE YOU GOT TO 5 OR 6 FAILED INJECTORS, ESPECIALLY IF THE OLD INJECTORS WERE FAILING IN CYLINDER NUMBER 6 TOO AND THE NEW INJECTORS WERE WORKING JUST FINE IN THE OTHER CYLINDERS!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-07-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Some of those injectors should have been covered under warranty. How much you want to bet they turned them in for a claim? -- I hope they didn't charge you and gave you credit for them. Stealerships are notorious for this. Making a warranty claim behind customers backs and charging customers for the work too.

I smell a rat somewhere on this one. Something is missing from this picture you are painting for us. Someone somewhere is not doing something, or perhaps those morons ripping you off are putting bad injectors in the same hole over and over and not bothering to do some good-old fashioned troubleshooting and taking you for your money instead. That is my theory, hopefully I am wrong about that.

---------

Inderjit, You say you have a CM871 in a 2010 prostar. It looks to me like your problem is 2-fold ...

ONE, you have a repeating problem/failure with the injector for cylinder #6 in your engine. I will assume for now that you are in fact loosing the injector for cylinder number 6 over and over, and that there are no other symptoms (not likely). I will also assume for a moment you have not been mis-informed ...

I only make those limited assumptions based on what you are posting etc. because I do not have engine E.S.P. ...

TWO,... This surmises that you have been taking it to a bunch of morons. I can see one injector failing,.. then ok, two, but at that point you know the problem is much bigger. If everything looked great on a boroscope, and you put an old injector in it and cylinder #6 fails AGAIN a third time with an older injector, piston and liner look good, no excess blowby ... Your problem at that point is very obvious!!!---- YOU GOT A PROBLEM IN THE HEAD!

If I were working on it and my truck did that the next move would be to REPLACE THE HEAD!!!!! with a brand new one (taking no chances there) long before I got to the 4th injector failure! and especially --- LONG BEFORE I SPENT $18,000 DOLLARS!!!! --- THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!. Last I checked, I am actually out here to make money with my truck,... Not lolly-gag around only to be jerked off by some dealer too lazy to do what is right.

So,.. the second problem you have is --- YOU HAVE BEEN TAKING IT TO THE WRONG PEOPLE TO HAVE IT FIXED! -- AND THEY SHOULD HAVE REPLACED THE HEAD LONG BEFORE YOU GOT TO 5 OR 6 FAILED INJECTORS, ESPECIALLY IF THE OLD INJECTORS WERE FAILING IN CYLINDER NUMBER 6 TOO AND THE NEW INJECTORS WERE WORKING JUST FINE IN THE OTHER CYLINDERS!.
Yes they are covered under warranty. To throw a monkey wrench inall this i called them yesterday and i was told that my ECM was replaced after rhid failure BS! I still have the original ecm with esn on it. They are blaming me that i am putting crappy fuel in my truck BS BS. I always go out of my way to fuel at good big name truck stop. I am not hiding anything from you guys. Told you guys as it has happened. I am going to do a exhaust in coolant test today to confirm.
replyreply
I just started my truck let it idle to earm up maybe couple of minutes. Recorded the each cycl temp with a thermal infrared thermometer. Cyclinder six is 10 deg more than any other cyl
replyreply
I measured the cyl temp when enginevat normal temp. Cycl six is almost 15 to 20 deg hotter than other cycl. 6- 204deg to 210deg. Others pretty close to 185 deg
replyreply
(07-07-2016 )Inderjit Wrote:  ...
I am not hiding anything from you guys

I was not referring to you hiding something but possibly the repair shop not telling you everything perhaps.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
ask them to move the failed injector to another cylinder to make sure that the injector is at fault, if they move it to say cylinder #4 and the injector fires then your problem could be a faulty injector harness or worse.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
(07-06-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Have you checked your fuel/metering actuators? I think I read something here a few days ago where one of the actuators was taking out an injector. Check the video section here too, there were videos on checking the injectors and those actuators.

It can happen. Saw a picture the other day of an actuator that had the metal tab crack in half. It was sending material into the injector that the screen could not handle. It was taking out the injector.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.