Cm2250 oil pans in 2023
07-31-2023, (Subject: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023 ) 
RE: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023
(07-31-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  If you used pipe dope (the mushed wet paper looking type stuffs) like I typically recommend for the corners of the block at the oil pan gasket instead of silicone, then the pan gasket can be cleaned up and re-used. If you used silicone, then you will most likely need a new gasket.

It's still got the same pipe dope from the bottle you handed me 22 months ago. Not one visible leak anywhere around the gasket. Will absolutely be using the same thing in the future.

I know I've asked this before, but don't remember off hand. What was the name of the pipe dope you had/have?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(07-31-2023 )JimT Wrote:  
(07-31-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  If you used pipe dope (the mushed wet paper looking type stuffs) like I typically recommend for the corners of the block at the oil pan gasket instead of silicone, then the pan gasket can be cleaned up and re-used. If you used silicone, then you will most likely need a new gasket.

It's still got the same pipe dope from the bottle you handed me 22 months ago. Not one visible leak anywhere around the gasket. Will absolutely be using the same thing in the future.

I know I've asked this before, but don't remember off hand. What was the name of the pipe dope you had/have?

It was this stuffs...
https://amzn.to/452d7pX

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy , JimT
(07-31-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  It was this stuffs...

That's also my favorite for pipe threads, especially stainless steel that is harder to seal.
Not supposed to use it on DOT air fittings because it doesn't harden, but shhhhh.
replyreply
(07-31-2023 )Nostalgic Wrote:  That's also my favorite for pipe threads, especially stainless steel that is harder to seal.
Not supposed to use it on DOT air fittings because it doesn't harden, but shhhhh.

I have always used permatex-red on metal air line fittings to keep threads from getting leaking. works far better than any pipe thread sealant that I have ever used. - Also the trick to seal air lines 100% is to use pack the thread sealant into the threads of the female (inside threads) using a Q-tip, and not to over-do it, and only a very tine bit on the male (outside) threads.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy , JimT
(07-31-2023 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(07-31-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  It was this stuffs...

That's also my favorite for pipe threads, especially stainless steel that is harder to seal.

Rectorseal tru-blue ( https://amzn.to/3qkQI7Q ) is absolutely fantastic with stainless threaded connections. Was what was recommended for use with the waterjet, very reliable.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
08-05-2023, (Subject: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023 ) 
(07-30-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  I ordered mine from this company. PAI. Less than $500.
https://www.woodlineparts.com/search?typ...ns+oil+pan
I had to replace my pan because the dip stick rubbed a hole in it. I used one from PAI because I couldn't find a Cummins plus it was a lot cheaper. I replaced it over two years ago. I love the PAI pan because the drain plug is in the bottom middle of the front sump and one in the rear sump. I feel that I get a much better drain when changing the oil. I also painted it really good before putting it on and also took about a half inch off the dip stick.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Mrkentee
08-05-2023, (Subject: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023 ) 
Got the PAI pan a couple days ago and just opened the box today, definitely needs a new paint job, very small rust spots around all the welds. Mating surface is smooth on one have and a little wavy on the other half. I don't think its bad enough to cause a leak, but definitely noticeable. Ended up ordering it from that link to Woodline. Got the one that came with the gasket, figured it wouldn't hurt to have an extra one just in case. Shipping was just under $200 which brought the final price to about $650 all in - by far the least expensive option I'd seen. I have a Fumoto valve I installed late last year, probably install that in the same side location as I don't like it sticking down that far from the bottom drain hole. I'm at about 16,500 miles on this oil right now with a 7.7mpg average. Don't want to push out the oil change another week so I'm gonna leave the current pan on another month and take my time to paint up the new pan. The weeping has been going on for a few months and hasn't gotten significantly worse so I don't think it's gonna let go in the next few weeks. Last oil change I gave it a nice coat of coraseal and today I gave the area a good coating of clear flex seal (spray), just to help slow the decay a bit more.

Question: where did the dipstick wear into the pan? Want to inspect that area on mine just in case.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.