Conmet preset hubs
03-04-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
Conmet preset hubs
ConMet preset steer hub.
How do you get the outer bearing and nut out of the hub??

Couple weeks ago changed my hub oil, of course this lead to my hub seal starting to leak. Trying to do the right things and this is what it got me. Haha

Anyways mine has a lock ring and a single nut that gets torqued to 300ft-lbs. Remove lock ring and loosen nut. Well the nut does not come off separate from the hub. The nut has tabs that ride in a groove inside the hub. Back nut off spindle and hub comes with it. I messed with it after getting hub off and couldn't figure how you get that nut out of the hub. The nut traps the outer bearing so you can't get it out. I replaced the seal and put it back together.
Anyone have experience with this??

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
03-05-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
RE: Conmet preset hubs
Maybe post some pictures so we see what you're seeing.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
This will probably help you. What you're describing sounds like a preset plus conmet hub. There is a snap ring that hold the nut in place.

**DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK**

Direct from Conmet

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...lwBF68arYN

I learned something new going over this. On conmet preset plus hubs get torqued to 300 ft/lbs on the steer and 500 ft/lbs on drive and trailer.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , LargeCar
some of those model comnet hubs are a single unit design, bearings and all, and are supposed to be replaced as a whole unit as well.

maybe find out what make.model front axle series you have and get the manual for it?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-05-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  This will probably help you. What you're describing sounds like a preset plus conmet hub. There is a snap ring that hold the nut in place.

**DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK**

Direct from Conmet

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...lwBF68arYN

I learned something new going over this. On conmet preset plus hubs get torqued to 300 ft/lbs on the steer and 500 ft/lbs on drive and trailer.

Doesn't seem like he's talking about the snap ring, sounds like a one piece like Rawze mentioned. That's why I asked him for pictures.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
I didn't take any pictures.

The nut has 300ft-lb stamped in it.
I must have the preset plus hubs. I think I felt the snap ring that holds the nut in the hub. I didn't remove the gasket for the sight glass because I had changed the sight glass two weeks ago was afraid I would tear the gasket.

Did both front seals. Right side was leaking, left side was showing signs of getting wet with oil. I should be good now. I have caused hub seal to leak on another truck by changing hub oil. At least that is my opinion. Fresh clean oil cleans up everything and Bamm got a leak.

replyreply
What are the mileage intervals for changing the hub oil?
replyreply
Think I read 500,000 miles or five years. Not real sure. I was trying to keep at my maintenance to stave off any troubles on the highway. Right front was no where near tight enough. Looked to me like that seal had been replaced. I could read Stemco on the seal. On the left side nut was at 300ft-lb and I couldn't read the back of the old seal.

Had a drive axle seal leak when I first got my truck. Kenworth shop had replaced that seal before I took delivery. When went to remove hub nut I took it off with my hand. Drive axle nuts get torqued to 500ft-lb with my hubs. No way the nut backed off, it was not tight enough to begin with. Goes to show dealership has worse mechanics than I am.

Side note I was wondering if the spacer between the bearings was being used as a crush sleeve. Conmet literature said spacer can be reused if no damage to spacer is found. So it's not a one time use like a crush sleeve is.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24
03-06-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
You mean the cone?? It can be reused but CONMET has guidelines for doing so.

The spindle nut you are referring to sounds like the CONMET spindle nut, refer to the CONMET preset plus manuals... On a side note, the only difference between CONMET preset and preset plus is in fact the spindle nut. IE a CONMET hub assy with a spindle nut from another mfg is just a preset hub, the preset plus is the same hub assy with their spindle nut, which is purchased separately... They have an app for your phone that breaks this stuff down and their website has proper installation procedures... Also they have a very good customer service line you can call with some knowledgeable folk.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Chamberpains , Rawze , LargeCar , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.