Speed/Tach Sensor
03-09-2020, (Subject: Speed/Tach Sensor ) 
Speed/Tach Sensor
My speedo stopped working, tracked the problem to the speed sensor. When I bought the truck five years ago the speed sensor was coming apart, so I epoxied it back together and carried on. It's coming apart again and should replace it this time (the epoxy was a temp fix, but I forgot about it, so here we are five years later...)

The build sheet shows Peterbilt part number 16-04117 for both the speedo and tach sensors. I can't find a cross for that. It's 3/4-16" threads that are 2-1/2" long. The leads are 18" with an old style connector that isn't weatherproof

What I need is the same sensor with the same length leads and a modern weather tight connection (weather-pack/metri-pack). I can replace the chassis harness connector to match the new sensor. Already have a bunch of weather-pack connectors so that would be preferred

The truck is an '89 Peterbilt 379 with a Cummins 444xt and Eaton 18spd RT0

Also - Could someone remind me the procedure for setting it? I know it gets screwed in till it touches then backed off a certain amount. Just can't remember how much
replyreply
RE: Speed/Tach Sensor
1/4 to 1/2 if I remember correctly but I could be wrong on it
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott
1/4-1/2 turn or 1/4-1/2"?

1/4" sounded about right but I couldn't remember
replyreply
Half a turn out. At a quarter inch it'll never read anything.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott , Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.