Cummins isx 15 CM2250 silent derate
03-09-2020, (Subject: Cummins isx 15 CM2250 silent derate ) 
Cummins isx 15 CM2250 silent derate
I have a 2013 CM2250 Cummins in a Peterbilt 579 750,000 that has power loss. Engine was inframed 25,000 miles ago and deleted as well. Truck tripped a check engine light on and then derated. FMI codes 2346 and 2451 last week, 3/3/20.
Replaced with IMAP and turbo inlet temperature sensors. Check engine light has been cleared but truck is still derated with code 2346 staying inactive. FYI truck was fully serviced and a exhaust leak was repaired on DPF then the next day is when this issue happened. The VGT test was completed and passed as well. Intake and fuel system has been checked. Truck does well shifting through low side of transmission but has hardly any boost on the high gears. Any advised? Thanks
replyreply
RE: Cummins isx 15 CM2250 silent derate
you have to have the engine at operating temp then idling for 1 minute then drive the truck for a few miles for the diagnostic to run and clear that code. If that fault is active it will not run properly.
replyreply
(03-09-2020 )krowbar91 Wrote:  I have a 2013 CM2250 Cummins in a Peterbilt 579 750,000 that has power loss. Engine was inframed 25,000 miles ago and deleted as well. Truck tripped a check engine light on and then derated. FMI codes 2346 and 2451 last week, 3/3/20.
Replaced with IMAP and turbo inlet temperature sensors. Check engine light has been cleared but truck is still derated with code 2346 staying inactive. FYI truck was fully serviced and a exhaust leak was repaired on DPF then the next day is when this issue happened. The VGT test was completed and passed as well. Intake and fuel system has been checked. Truck does well shifting through low side of transmission but has hardly any boost on the high gears. Any advised? Thanks

Not sure where or who did your demandate, but I'd venture to guess that is where the problem lies. Maybe they didn't properly hollow out ALL the cans (DOC, DPF and SCR). Or, maybe it's something bad in the programming itself. I'd lean toward the cans being clogged up since this started right after you fixed an exhaust leak. My guess is there is a good restriction in the exhaust that went unnoticed until the leak was fixed. Now the turbo is working overtime to try and overcome the backpressure.

But that is just a guess based on the little info you posted. If it wasn't demandated by someone mentioned on here then it's highly likely that it wasn't done correctly. If the cans are not 100% empty or if the SCR was left intact then it will reflect heat back toward the turbo and eventually the passages will clog up with soot, oil, or whatever is coming out of the engine.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(03-09-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(03-09-2020 )krowbar91 Wrote:  I have a 2013 CM2250 Cummins in a Peterbilt 579 750,000 that has power loss. Engine was inframed 25,000 miles ago and deleted as well. Truck tripped a check engine light on and then derated. FMI codes 2346 and 2451 last week, 3/3/20.

Not sure where or who did your demandate, but I'd venture to guess that is where the problem lies. Maybe they didn't properly hollow out ALL the cans (DOC, DPF and SCR). Or, maybe it's something bad in the programming itself. I'd lean toward the cans being clogged up since this started right after you fixed an exhaust leak. My guess is there is a good restriction in the exhaust that went unnoticed until the leak was fixed. Now the turbo is working overtime to try and overcome the backpressure.

But that is just a guess based on the little info you posted. If it wasn't demandated by someone mentioned on here then it's highly likely that it wasn't done correctly. If the cans are not 100% empty or if the SCR was left intact then it will reflect heat back toward the turbo and eventually the passages will clog up with soot, oil, or whatever is coming out of the engine.
replyreply
Thanks for the comments. DOC and DPF have been completely gutted. SCR has not been touched. Truck has operated for 25,000 miles with no problems until exhaust leak was fixed on DPF and PM was performed. I have also ran truck at operating temp, idled for 1 minute then driven truck on the road. Code still stays inactive and truck derated even after reset from insite. My question is being that system has been gutted does the turbo not recognize any back pressure which trips this code???? Took truck back to shop that did the original programming for delete and was advised that software and calibrations were good.
replyreply
(03-09-2020 )krowbar91 Wrote:  Took truck back to shop that did the original programming for delete and was advised that software and calibrations were good.

If it wasn't Mr Hagg or Unilevers shop, then you have a bad delete and who knows what kind of unstable crap is going on in that ecm.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(03-09-2020 )krowbar91 Wrote:  Thanks for the comments. DOC and DPF have been completely gutted. SCR has not been touched. Truck has operated for 25,000 miles with no problems until exhaust leak was fixed on DPF and PM was performed. I have also ran truck at operating temp, idled for 1 minute then driven truck on the road. Code still stays inactive and truck derated even after reset from insite. My question is being that system has been gutted does the turbo not recognize any back pressure which trips this code???? Took truck back to shop that did the original programming for delete and was advised that software and calibrations were good.

honestly there are so many things wrong with what you said i dont know where to start. you cannot have a SCR it will not work for very long. You most likely have bad programming that caused a physical issue, or bad programming that is the issue or just bad programming with a physical issue with a delete done poorly and improper. 25000 miles? thats nothing, it dam well better run longer than that - and its having a issue right now. Your tuning shop is clueless aswell. I think you need to reevaluate your situation.

diesels run best with zero backpressure - it doesnt need any of it. it would be best if you had a pipe directly out the side of your hood, but the air police would get cranky about that. The exhaust leak was probably letting it breath enough to not code up.

Good luck, your gonna need it
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Waterloo
(03-09-2020 )krowbar91 Wrote:  Thanks for the comments. DOC and DPF have been completely gutted. SCR has not been touched. Truck has operated for 25,000 miles with no problems until exhaust leak was fixed on DPF and PM was performed. I have also ran truck at operating temp, idled for 1 minute then driven truck on the road. Code still stays inactive and truck derated even after reset from insite. My question is being that system has been gutted does the turbo not recognize any back pressure which trips this code???? Took truck back to shop that did the original programming for delete and was advised that software and calibrations were good.

Like I said above, if the SCR can wasn't completely gutted then it's reflecting heat back toward the turbo AND it's slowly getting clogged up from soot and oil. The SCR can is filled with the same ceramic honeycomb as the DOC and DPF. Once the DPF is gone all the crap it used to catch now travels along until it hits the SCR media and slowly builds up there.

A super easy way to verify that a clogged SCR is the cause would be to disconnect the exhaust after the turbo and see if the code(s) disappear. The more you drive it like this the more likely you will cause serious damage to the turbo and the engine.

While you're not driving read up on the experiences of other unlucky people: The bad delete collection...

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
I guess this guy just wants to destroy his enigne before listening to anyone...

YOU HAVE A BAD GODDAMN DELETE AND THAT SCR CAN NEEDS TO BE 100% HOLLOWED OUT !!!!! --- YOU WERE RIPPED THE F$$$K OFF!!!

WAKE THE He#LL UP AND LISTEN TO THE ADVICE ON THIS FORUM IF YOU VALUE YOUR ENGINE AT ALL!!!!!!

-GET THAT BAD DELETE PROGRAM OUT OF THAT ENGINE ASAP AND HOLLOW OUT THE REST OF THE EXHAUST!!!!!!!

some people have to learn the hard way. He will be crying on here in a few months how it dropped a liner, cracked a piston from all the reflected heat and an over-spooling turbo, or lost a turbo.

PeopLe just like you come on here about every other week. -- Some listen and save their engines from an agonizing death because they choose to listen... while others start that self-denial because they "know their guy was good" and all kinds of other lame damn reasons or excuses they have convinced themselves of,... but in the end,.. you will learn either the hard way,.. or listen to what the people on here are trying to tell you (many have already been in your shoes). -- Your choice!.

PULL that program out of that ecm and e-mail it to me for e review and I will tell you line for line what is in it, good, bad, or ugly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.