Inactive Doser Valve
03-15-2020, (Subject: Inactive Doser Valve ) 
RE: Inactive Doser Valve
(03-15-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Glad to hear you made it. Might as well pull the doser out and inspect it for leaking and buildup. Maybe while it's out run a DEF doser test with Insite to make sure it's spraying properly.

If you're keeping the systems intact you may want to consider having someone tune the ECM to turn off those non-critical derates. Save you from future headaches.

I do plan to keep in in tack. Anyone know of anyone worthwhile in N TX to do an ECM tune?
replyreply
(03-15-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  ...
I do plan to keep in in tack. Anyone know of anyone worthwhile in N TX to do an ECM tune?

not at all.

pull the file yourself and send it to one of the guys recommended here, or myself. does not take but a few minutes to remove only the derates/shutdowns.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-15-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  ...

not at all.

pull the file yourself and send it to one of the guys recommended here, or myself. does not take but a few minutes to remove only the derates/shutdowns.

Sorry to be dunce about it.

Which file and how do i locate it?
replyreply
03-16-2020, (Subject: Inactive Doser Valve ) 
(03-15-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  Which file and how do i locate it?

sent u a pm w what u need.

User's Signature: my wisdom is small. my heart is big. my love for trucking is somewhere in between.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
03-17-2020, (Subject: Inactive Doser Valve ) 
(03-15-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Sometimes it literally is a poor connection at a plug. If it stays away, I'd pull that plug back down and inspect it closer to see if the wires are secure in the plug and not corroded. Then use some dielectric grease in it and seal it with flex seal or something of that nature.

Chamberpains I would have under most every electrical situation where connections are potentially exposed to weather say use a dielectric grease. So I did so on the connector at the doser valve. Got it wrapped up and secured. Got in the truck started it up to back the truck off my ramps and wouldn’t you know it, the damn code was back.

Obviously the dielectric grease in this situation was not a good choice. I was able to hook my air hose and gun up and blow all off it out of the connector. Plugged it back in, no codes. Unplugged put more air on it plugged it back up no code.

Anyway I learned something and thought I’d pass it along to you too.

Thanks for all your help. You and others here are invaluable resources.
replyreply
(03-17-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Sometimes it literally is a poor connection at a plug. If it stays away, I'd pull that plug back down and inspect it closer to see if the wires are secure in the plug and not corroded. Then use some dielectric grease in it and seal it with flex seal or something of that nature.

Chamberpains I would have under most every electrical situation where connections are potentially exposed to weather say use a dielectric grease. So I did so on the connector at the doser valve. Got it wrapped up and secured. Got in the truck started it up to back the truck off my ramps and wouldn’t you know it, the damn code was back.

Obviously the dielectric grease in this situation was not a good choice. I was able to hook my air hose and gun up and blow all off it out of the connector. Plugged it back in, no codes. Unplugged put more air on it plugged it back up no code.

Thanks for all your help. You and others here are invaluable recourses.

That's strange

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(03-17-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  

Thanks for all your help. You and others here are invaluable resources.

That's strange

Yes I thought so too.

I was telling a buddy of mine about it and he said that on those type of connections that the dielectric grease can sometimes cross contaminate the connectors and cause a short. He suggested using a contact type cleaner instead.

I went to NAPA and explained what had happened and was told the same thing and they gave me a product made by CRC called QD Electronic Cleaner. Said this will flush out any left over grease and clean the connectors. Told me to only use dielectric on connectors that cannot become energized by another connection point and ultimately short out the connection.

I just shrugged and said okay thanks.
replyreply
I thought the point of dielectric grease was that it doesn't conduct electricity. Am I missing something?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(03-17-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  I thought the point of dielectric grease was that it doesn't conduct electricity. Am I missing something?

I'm with you, but it definitely caused that code to return and as soon as I put air on it and cleaned out the connector the code went away.

In doing some research I did find that the grease should NOT be used directly on the contact points, pins, etc. Then I have read that it's perfectly okay to do so. I don't know. I only know what happened when I did and I didn't like the results.

I've used it on my light harnesses for trailer to truck, trailer lights, etc. and never had a problem, but it sure didn't work very well on that doser valve connector. Perhaps it had something to do with that specific type of connector? I don't know.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.