2014 KW W9 Requiring Manual Regen Every Day!??
03-15-2020, (Subject: 2014 KW W9 Requiring Manual Regen Every Day!?? ) 
RE: 2014 KW W9 Requiring Manual Regen Every Day!??
TruckerRon, with all do respect I hope you can take what seems like harsh criticism and use it to make some decisions and do it quickly. If Simons will take back the truck then pay the 10% and write it off. Think off it as educational expense and move on.
I get “it” about driving a dream truck but you have to position yourself properly in order to justify(I use that term loosely) such a counterproductive investment. If your not in the 250-350k gross revenues category you’ll only be treading water with such poor decisions. Get rid of that truck or park it and jump back into a company position till you can figure out the game a little better. Good luck sir, you sure need it.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
That truck sounds like it's spec'd for heavy haul. So if all you're running is typical dry van freight then you won't have the income needed to support that truck.

Rawze isn't diplomatic in the way he interacts with people, but he won't BS you. He tells it like it is. He also gave you a nice list at the end of his long post for you to start to tackle your problems.

Before you can fix the emissions problems:
- You WILL NEED a windows laptop with Cummins Instite and an Inline 6 adaptor.
- You WILL NEED to perform an "EGR Tune-up" as outlined elsewhere on this site.
- You WILL NEED to set up a FREE account with Cummins Quickserve to look up parts, manuals, diagrams and troubleshooting info.
- If the engine has 400,000 miles or more and you don't want to spend $35,000 to replace it, then you will need to spend a few hundred to rebuild the fuel pump head. (search for '2250 fuel pump', it applies to all engines with the SCR, not just the 2250)

Now, once you have the basics you can start to diagnose the underlying emission problem. It sounds like the truck is not regening on it's own. Some or all of the DPF/DOC/SCR components could be damaged or totally bad (especially if it was submerged in water as you indicated). It also sounds like that engine is producing WAY TOO MUCH soot and/or oil and/or coolant. Even without the DPF regenning properly you should get more than 200-300 miles before you need a parked/forced regen. There could be many causes for this. A bunch of internal engine components are either old or bad. You could have a coolant leak in the EGR cooler. Your turbo could be leaking oil in to the exhaust or intake.

In short, you have to start looking and eliminating possibilities. Do the EGR tune-up first, it is the best place to start, doesn't require a huge parts cost and needs to be done regularly for the emissions systems to function properly. Also, pull the DPF and DOC off and send them to a dealer to be baked (cleaned) and flow tested. If it doesn't pass the test then you could be looking at $5,000-$15,000 to replace them. While the exhaust is disconnected from the turbo, run the engine and see just how bad the exhaust looks. Try holding a piece of paper a few inches away from the back of the turbo and see if there is any wetness in the exhaust gasses (could be oil, coolant, or unburnt fuel). Once that is done, depending what you find, you can start to look at other areas.

With plenty of time and LOTS of money you can get that thing running.

This site is for people willing to listen (read), learn and take charge of their maintenance (usually by getting their own hands dirty). Nearly everyone on here learned by doing and for many of us it happened the hard way.

----------------------

As for carriers, Landstar is great, I'm with them. But they are NOT like working for most carriers. They don't hold your hand or tell you what to do. They basically just handle most of the compliance paperwork and billing crap. Their agents (basically in house brokers) negotiate freight from shippers. It's up to you to find the loads you want, contact the agents, negotiate and secure the load, plan you route and manage all your costs including tolls, permits, fuel. It's basically the closest thing to being a fully independent carrier, just a little less business and government paperwork to deal with. There are no dispatchers finding work for you. There's no one telling you where to go, what to do or when to do it. But they also won't stop charging your weekly deductions when you don't work. It sounds easy, and fun and a great place (and it is), but it's still A LOT of work for a single person who also spends most of their day driving (and maintaining) the vehicle. They are also VERY strict with regulation compliance. Don't park on the shoulder of a roadway or on/off ramp, they will terminate your lease (unless it was an emergency situation, in which case you need to inform them ASAP).

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
If you only made 50 boy they got you. I started at 48 as dedicated Walmart and did that for 2 years when I left I was at 54 and dedicated is paid less than otr by the average of 10c.

I knew I couldn't compete with their trucks when I went o/o as I could slam gears and hold it to the floor and pull 7-8mpg all day in their trucks. I did 2900-3200 miles a week with a 65mph truck and was home for 95% of my 34hr resets.

Now as an o/o in a market my truck can compete I still only do 65- 66 and slower when I can but the big change my average week is 2500 miles or less and I'm home for almost 72hrs a week and net about 2500-3500 a week after expenses with a 4.7-5.2 mpg pig that I spent 50,000 in my first year with fixing and chasing fuel mileage about 20,000 in needed repairs and 30,000 chasing fuel mileage. And I still made out better than I did as a company driver along with taking off around 7-8 weeks of time off.

Being an o/o is about freedom if you can't afford the freedom then you will suffer.

You've been given info if you don't like getting slapped in the back of the head for poor decisions then your doomed to fail. That truck is going to ruin you end of story especially not being able to haul normal freight weights.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
03-16-2020, (Subject: 2014 KW W9 Requiring Manual Regen Every Day!?? ) 
here is unfortunately, the perfect description for this guys situation...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...18#pid6718

I always hate to see it. I try to help people, but not everyone can be helped, as they choose not to be, but only are looking for the answers that suit them instead.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.