5.9 no power but a story to go with it.
07-08-2016, (Subject: 5.9 no power but a story to go with it. ) 
5.9 no power but a story to go with it.
Short version, 2002 24 valve 5.9 all stock, lent it (first mistake) guy put gas in it (a lot) drove 200 yards and shut it off to go pay. Came out and it would not start. Flat decked home looked it over, everything I read and went through such as fuel pressure checks I settled on it was the VP44 failed. I left till spring (8 months.....long winter) Decided to put a new pump on, while pulling old one off discovered the gas, drained all out and put diesel back in it. Put OLD pump on, now here is where it gets interesting, Turns out pump was changed by Stealer under warranty unknown to anyone. It has a reman pump on it. Wood-ruff key is very damaged from miss-alignment when the dealer installed it few years previous. Everything I have read says truck should have thrown codes or started hard or whatever, not so, worked great. New key (proper one from Bosch with proper offset) and installed properly in gear key-way. Truck started up and runs perfect, idles, revs and starts with no issues. Problem is no power and black smoke. I did discover that the waste gate was stuck from sitting but I fixed that.

So now that pump is installed correctly, no power....I don't get it. I have changed fuel and air filters, I really have a hard time thinking Inj pump is bad, it worked perfect before, so no reason to think it is bad now. Everything and everyone I talk to say gas wont hurt it, just wont run and it didn't. What else can it be? boost leak? I can hear turbo spool up, It seems to rev to 2000 RPM and die off, seems to have power or more power in higher gears when revs are low. Is it possible for a dealer to change ECU or timing to make up for the miss-aligned key in the Inj pump? For instance if they started it up and it worked crappy could they compensate somehow and now back to original its off? Any suggestions? I live in the boonies and there is no sense to take to a dealer as they will start throwing parts at it until there are no parts left in their warehouse or I am bankrupt or whatever comes first.

Any direction, suggestions much appreciated. I plan on checking for boost leaks, make sur MAP didn't get unplugged ar the Cam position sensor, I can't imagine that but anything possible. I am up against it here. I KNOW there is someone here that knows where to look. Thanks and yes that is the short version!
replyreply
07-09-2016, (Subject: 5.9 no power but a story to go with it. ) 
RE: 5.9 no power but a story to go with it.
I know absolutely nothing about a 5.9,.. but I can tell you that if it is making black smoke, it is not getting enough positive air-flow vs the fuel being poured into it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Possible that "critters" or ? plugged exhaust after sitting for extended time or crushed exhaust from maybe being tied down to trailer or tow truck ??
Seen it before,just a thought.
Good luck,should be fun.
replyreply
does that thing have an EGR valve? -- Could be stuck wide open?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Have you disconnected the batteries. and let it sit for a bit(hr) then hook them back up. then the ecm might relearn as you said the key was messed up and you fixed it so it might just need to rethink its settings,it worked on my 95 5.9 12 val. but that was a different problem.(kid owned it before me,alot of aftermarket crap,ran like sh#t)
plus there are alot of crap someone could have done to it with the keyway messed up.
and i would try some of the dodge truck forms for a better answer as they would likely have had a problem like this on there.
replyreply
My question is does this truck have a smarty tune or one of the other infamous box tunes in it?
I have a 6.7 cummins 1 ton that I been trying to learn about custom tuning on and in my research, I have found that they are all basically the same crap.
Allot of the bad things that Rawze talks about in isx tuning is what I'm finding with the 5.9 and 6.7 engines.
I actually looked at a truck with a smarty tune that has a "boost fooler" that bypasses the map sensor in order to make the ecm think the turbo is not over boosting.
That same truck has the egr cooler and egr removed. Mind you, this is a display truck for a big name tuning company here in spokane and I won't mention their name.
The back pressure sensor is also unplugged as well as the throttle position sensor. When I asked why, he got very defensive by my questions. All I could think of was run like hell lol.
My suggestion would be if it has one of those tunes, get it off asap. Try running it stock if it's not to butchered and see where it's at afterwards.
In the meantime, my research continues for a tune that will compare to Rawze's where I won't have to butcher and beat it into submission.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
replyreply
07-26-2016, (Subject: 5.9 no power but a story to go with it. ) 
I have an 07 Dodge 5.9, what options are out there for better mpg and a little power for towing? Any feedback appreciated.
replyreply
07-27-2016, (Subject: 5.9 no power but a story to go with it. ) 
(07-26-2016 )PuroCumminsPower Wrote:  I have an 07 Dodge 5.9, what options are out there for better mpg and a little power for towing? Any feedback appreciated.

The big-name tuners programs are bad for these bigger engines and are nothing but butchery not fit to operate a dog collar,.. but it pales in comparison to how horribly pick-up truck engines are custom tuned.

I know that gearhead and Unilevers have dabble with some tuning on a few of them. Outside of that, I seriously have not seen a tuner for pick-up trucks engines that has the slightest clue how to tune a modern diesel engine corectly. -- It is truly a sad thing because most of them get offended like little girls when you point out their mistakes instead of actually trying to learn to do something right.

replyreply
07-27-2016, (Subject: 5.9 no power but a story to go with it. ) 
Whenever I see one of these morons with their mosquito repellent trucks all I can think is these guys took an engine that is capable of 3-5 hundred thousand miles with little more than routine maintenance, and turned it into a 75 - 100 thousand mile grenade.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.