Can sensors be tested?
03-24-2020, (Subject: Can sensors be tested? ) 
Can sensors be tested?
Sometimes the possibility of a bad sensor is suggested here on the forum as being the actual source of an error code or even of a problem with how the engine is running.

Is there a way of testing sensors to find out whether they're functioning correctly?
Does Cummins publish tables that would state what the expected normal test results would be?

Thanks everyone for considering these questions.
replyreply
03-25-2020, (Subject: Can sensors be tested? ) 
RE: Can sensors be tested?
What is the issue you are having? Or just asking?

If you have a copy of Insite and an Inline reader, it is pretty easy to hunt down, or at least get you pointed in the right direction. Though honestly, most sensors are just better off being replaced, especially if they have red paint on them. More than a couple should be replaced annually.
replyreply
No issue at hand, really am just asking out of interest.
Thanks for that info. I hadn't realized that about Insite.
Also, my impression about the EGR sensors in particular was that for on-highway applications the sensors should routinely be changed out at maybe 200k; are there sensors which should be replaced annually, that is to say more frequently than 200k?
Thanks a lot for your help Waterloo.
replyreply
About $500 for all the sensors, I just replace them yearly. It's cheap insurance.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
03-26-2020, (Subject: Can sensors be tested? ) 
Sounds good, thanks tree.
replyreply
03-26-2020, (Subject: Can sensors be tested? ) 
There are tables that show resistance VS temp for some temp sensors but those types of sensors rarely give much trouble.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , LargeCar
01-13-2021, (Subject: Can sensors be tested? ) 
how do you test if the plug is working
replyreply
What plug are you referring to?
replyreply
You can do what they call a pin drag test, but you will need the same type of terminal , and for a better visual example maybe u toobe it. But this is usually done because you have intermittent problems. And usually with loose connections you can sometimes have burn marks around where the terminals meet or corrosion. If that is even what you are referring to in your earlier post?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.