ISX 2350 cylinder height
03-29-2020, (Subject: ISX 2350 cylinder height ) 
ISX 2350 cylinder height
Working on a ISX 2350 that was pressurizing the coolant system. I pressurized the coolant system to 20psi and saw coolant leaking at the rear cylinder after I removed the oil pan. Then I pulled the cylinder and saw a blown head gasket on there intake side of the rear cylinder. Too the head to a machine shop and they said it is cracked on the intake of cylinder 2. I cleaned the top of the block and clamped the liners down and checked with an indicator. What I found was most of the liners measure .009 above deck and 2 of them measure .008 above. Looking for some opinions on what you believe is the correct plan of attack to proceed with. Take it easy on me. I’m new
replyreply
RE: ISX 2350 cylinder height
Assuming you are in framing the motor Counterbore and raise the liners to .014, REPLACE the cylinder head with NEW one it will be cheaper in the long run, machined cylinder heads aren't the same and can be detrimental and suffer the same fate as remans do.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I am trying to debate if I Need to in-frame the motor completely out if a new head would be all that is needed.
replyreply
Mileage doesn't matter once a liner sinks, simply replacing the head gasket putting a head on it will only be met with repeated failure. You're already 2/3rds there, buy an OEM inframe kit cut the block raise the liners with shims and install a new cylinder head. It's the only way to permanently fix the problem. The only other way you can blow a head gasket is bad tuning but you haven't mentioned if it's stock or demandated.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55
My thoughts exactly. Yes the truck is demandated. I’m looking now at finding the software to pull the file and send it to be reviewed. I don’t know what to look for in the tune. I’ve never messed with truck tunes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
Get the tune pulled and send to Rawze, and in frame the motor properly. I went through this, $38,000 pissed away, they did not cut the block, they threw the liners in and called it a day, 70,000 miles later, the head went when #5 liner busted loose. They also missed many other crucial steps, the motor was doomed from the get go. Me and Rawze did a proper in frame in his driveway. Don't be that guy, I was, and it sucked.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
* head gaskets simply do not fail on the ISX unless it has liner issues. Putting it back together without counter-boring it is only going to cost you pulling it apart again,,.. and replacing the head again.

-- Do the job 100% right,,. or suffer the fate of repeating, expensive failures.

here is some references that came up in a search. I suggest you read thru them all...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid49992

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid35624

and there are more if you search for them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55 , dhirocz , HotRod , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.