Shim for increased Oil Pressure
07-10-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
RE: Shim for increased Oil Pressure
(07-10-2016 )AussieISX Wrote:  Great write up , what is the general opinion, is it beneficial to increase the oil pressure by a few psi to better supply the cams , what would be the ideal pressure?
This has been my thought process, yes.
Since its general knowledge that the head, valvetrain & Cam's are the known weaknes of the ISX, I can't reinforce the head, but I can get more oil to the valvetrain & cams. I don't know what ideal pressure would be, but I personally want 40psi as a minimum when working hard/hot at 220*+. Personal opinion: ideally I want to be between 40-45 operating range
I pull a multi-axle equipment lowboy and my gross is from 150-200,000lbs (68-90,000kgs), so I tend to lean on my motor a little harder than typical so I just wanted some extra protection if that makes sense?
Also this motor has always been on the lower side of the range when I ask others what their pressure runs. On Mobil Delvac it ran the same or plus 1 pressures as the Castrol listed above, and I have never been comfortable with that. Before this motor I had 4 consecutive Series 60's so I'm just not used to seeing under 40.

(07-10-2016 )Vin Wrote:  Ever pull the valve cover and idle the truck? Barely any oil flows on the Cummins camshafts, so even an extra 5psi oil pressure is going to make an improvement.
I wholeheartedly agree...

***PLEASE NOTE*** I have added an edit to my procedure write-up, I forgot it when I wrote it and feel it's important information.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I noticed in the photo the ends of the cotter key were not bent (the bolt was still loose too). I hope you didn't forget to bend the key so it stays in when re-installing everything. That would be very bad.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-10-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  I noticed in the photo the ends of the cotter key were not bent (the bolt was still loose too). I hope you didn't forget to bend the key so it stays in when re-installing everything. That would be very bad.

It states in the caption that I deliberately left the bolt loose for the photo to demonstrate which one needs to be removed and the cotter pin unbent to show that a 2" is sufficient to anchor in place.
I wish you had been here when I was doing this job.
I torqued up the bolt, I stalked and torqued up the pan, poured the oil in the engine, made some notes, and screamed f$%k!!! at the top of my lungs. I am human, I make mistakes every day...I just do my best to keeps those mistakes little. This one was little...I forgot to bend the cotter pin! So, yes I drained brand new oil back out of my engine, dropped the pan AGAIN, bent the cotter pin, reinstalled the pan and retorqued it AGAIN. NOT my proudest moment, but at least I kept the mistake small and caught it before the infamous $35,000 mistake.
No beer was involved in this particular operation...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(07-10-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  It states in the caption that I deliberately left the bolt loose for the photo to demonstrate which one needs to be removed and the cotter pin unbent to show that a 2" is sufficient to anchor in place.
I torqued up the bolt, I stalked and torqued up the pan, poured the oil in the engine, made some notes, and screamed f$%k!!! at the top of my lungs. I am human, I make mistakes every day...I just do my best to keeps those mistakes little. This one was little...I forgot to bend the cotter pin! So, yes I drained brand new oil back out of my engine, dropped the pan AGAIN, bent the cotter pin, reinstalled the pan and retorqued it AGAIN. NOT my proudest moment, but at least I kept the mistake small and caught it before the infamous $35,000 mistake.

Thats ok,... I used to have a very nice self-propelled lawn mower. I went to use it after it sat all winter, and the carb. was gummed up because I didn't bother to flush it with white gas before using it for the last time the year before.

I took carb bowl off and cleaned it with some brake cleaner (worked very well), and sprayed some into the fuel line feeding it,.. and some into the intake of the carb, so it would start up easy, re-attached the line to the gas tank, filled it up full, and pulled the handle.

The line for the gas tank popped off at that moment because I had forgotten to put on the clip for it...

The lawn mower cranked right up, the line popped off, and the whole thing went up in flames. By the time I got the garden hose over to it, it was all over.... No more lawn mower.

(more about the lawn mower lol : http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid4712)

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-10-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-10-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  It states in the caption that I deliberately left the bolt loose for the photo to demonstrate which one needs to be removed and the cotter pin unbent to show that a 2" is sufficient to anchor in place.

Thats ok,... I used to have a very nice self-propelled lawn mower. I went to use it after it sat all winter, and the carb. was gummed up because I didn't bother to flush it with white gas before using it for the last time the year before.

I took carb bowl off and cleaned it with some brake cleaner (worked very well), and sprayed some into the fuel line feeding it,.. and some into the intake of the carb, so it would start up easy, re-attached the line to the gas tank, filled it up full, and pulled the handle.

The line for the gas tank popped off at that moment because I had forgotten to put on the clip for it...

The lawn mower cranked right up, the line popped off, and the whole thing went up in flames. By the time I got the garden hose over to it, it was all over.... No more lawn mower.

Next time simply don't forget the beer !!! Both of you!!!
Do what you do , stop for a short beer brake, grab one , have a seat, have a few good seeps , then start thinking what you have done so far . And also is really good to have a check list and a pen to mark it (done).
And this will conclude the old fart advice.
replyreply
07-11-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
Too funny, twist the wrench, sit, drink, and think very HARD... That is what I do, a two hour job is a two day affair... LMAO!!!! But, as Sinatra sang... I DID IT MY WAY!
replyreply
07-14-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
I've seen pictures of the dog bone and spring inside of it do I pull spring out of dog bone and place shims in there or do I feed them down the hole?
replyreply
Tye American dime is 1.35mm whereas the canadian is 1.23mm so if rawze says use 10 dimes, us canucks need to use 11 to get the same thickness........ Yeah that's right, I Googled hiw thick dimes were!!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
So hammer, what is your pressure at operating temp!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.