Shim for increased Oil Pressure
07-19-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
RE: Shim for increased Oil Pressure
(07-19-2016 )Camstyn Wrote:  Sorry I should have done some more reading before asking.. Sounds like a 5/16" or 8mm shim should raise my pressure up about 5psi. Will new main bearings typically have much effect on oil psi?

If your bearings are showing signs of wear then your oil pressure would have been down a bit and doing a bearing roll will bring it back up. That's the first sign your bearings are wearing, your pressure drops.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(07-19-2016 )Brock Wrote:  
(07-19-2016 )Camstyn Wrote:  Sorry I should have done some more reading before asking.. Sounds like a 5/16" or 8mm shim should raise my pressure up about 5psi. Will new main bearings typically have much effect on oil psi?

If your bearings are showing signs of wear then your oil pressure would have been down a bit and doing a bearing roll will bring it back up. That's the first sign your bearings are wearing, your pressure drops.

Oil pressure seems within normal spec, engine looks good inside other than the mains showing some scuffing and color, and one cam roller shows some heat. They're not toast by any means.l but thinking about changing them out just so that everything is tip top.

Sorry Hammerhead, not trying to derail your thread!
replyreply
Or you may have a motor like mine that was just on the low side of the spec right out of the box...
Dimes are easy to come by, and make great shims as it's easy to adjust in nice small convenient increments.
That pic Brock posted, just slide the spring out of the cup end of the dogbone, coat up your desired number of dimes with petroleum jelly to hold in place, reinsert spring and reassemble...
I never measured the dime stack, I will later tonight when I get home just to provide complete info as people seem to want a measurement instead of quantity. I didn't think a measurement was that critical.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I just did my bearings and new oil pump and same psi. Hot idle 15-18 psi and 35-40 at rpm going down the road.
replyreply
(07-19-2016 )Camstyn Wrote:  ...
Sorry Hammerhead, not trying to derail your thread!
No worries Camstyn, it's all related. Discussion leads to idea sharing and that's all progress.
Rawze produces Technical Documents, I, Hammer, thinks about a problem or issue, I try to correct it, post what I did, how I did it, what tools were required, what my results were, and most importantly if I learn something that I feel is valuable, I emphasize it so that others can learn from my experiences.
In the end it's all progress of knowledge, and that's the goal.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I talked with Gearhead allot about this when we did ours. He talked to a Cummins engineer and according to him the internals would take 120 psi.
There is a break point. Seals and gaskets will only take so much.

Do I really want to run that high? No but at 60 psi going down the road I'm comfortable. I never thought twice about oil pressure running a pre EGR CAT.

So why did they settle on 20 psi at idle?
I thank Top Ace for pushing this issue, personally I think 20 is way to low.

Oil is the life blood of any engine, any engineer, farmer or trucker will tell you that pressure and volume matter whether it's a 4 second run with a 10,000 hp top fueler,
a NASCAR engine running 500 miles flat out or a Quad 4X4 tractor pulling a 16 bottom plow. It all depends on application.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Engine-Liquid-Filters-for-Cummins-ISX-Engines.pdf (Size: 917.02 KB / Downloads: 155)

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(07-19-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I talked with Gearhead allot about this when we did ours. He talked to a Cummins engineer and according to him the internals would take 120 psi.

Do I really want to run that high? No but at 60 psi going down the road I'm comfortable. I never thought twice about oil pressure running a pre EGR CAT.

Oil is the life blood of any engine, any engineer, farmer or trucker will tell you that pressure and volume matter whether it's a 4 second run with a 10,000 hp top fueler,
a NASCAR engine running 500 miles flat out or a Quad 4X4 tractor pulling a 16 bottom plow. It all depends on application.

What that person may not have known was that several years ago, cummins LOWERED their oil pressures because bearings were getting washed out at 60+. that is what I know about it any ways, but who knows for sure. they didn't design it for the least pressure, there was in fact a reason for it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-19-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-19-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I talked with Gearhead allot about this when we did ours. He talked to a Cummins engineer and according to him the internals would take 120 psi.

What that person may not have known was that several years ago, cummins LOWERED their oil pressures because bearings were getting washed out at 60+. that is what I know about it any ways, but who knows for sure. they didn't design it for the least pressure, there was in fact a reason for it.

You know far more than I ever will about hydraulic pressure but when I look at bearings down into the babibit and copper, I'll take my chances with the higher pressure.
I know it is possible to wash a bearing but we are yet to see any come out of an ISX.

Every picture of a bad bearing tells me not enough pressure to eliminate direct friction wear and loss of suspension, cam bearings in particular.
Wouldn't higher pressure help keep the cross drillings from getting soot packed? Short of proper tuning?

Some where in between is a happy medium that will yield exceptional wear but that is not in their financial interest.
We've already seen that with emission parts.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Think the higher psi washout could have been the result of higher fuel dilution in those older engines?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.