EGR Tune up results
07-09-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
EGR Tune up results
Just thought I would share my results after breaking into the engine for an EGR cleaning. Got the intake manifold of and crossover tube but will have to do the rest tomorrow. This is on a CM2250 with roughly 483,000 miles. Even though I watched the video that Rawze made about it, it's still a little shocking to see how much soot is built up inside the head! I'm definitely glad I decided to get this done and am looking forward to the after results!

./uploads/201607/post_1359_1468038439_99509ff53958143081cbe3039707ee4b.jpg

./uploads/201607/post_1359_1468038488_04f7497c11ac499b5a6259da50699cf0.jpg

User's Signature: 2012 Cascadia ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
RE: EGR Tune up results
yuk. that's worse than mine was.
replyreply
(07-09-2016 )overshot Wrote:  yuk. that's worse than mine was.

I couldn't believe it. I've went through 3 cans of choke cleaner just on the intake manifold. I'm going to need to pick up some more to finish it up and do the rest.

replyreply
(07-09-2016 )trdodd07 Wrote:  

I couldn't believe it. I've went through 3 cans of choke cleaner just on the intake manifold. I'm going to need to pick up some more to finish it up and do the rest.
Big parts without electrical (crossover tube intake mnifold) just wash with purple clean and water.
replyreply
(07-09-2016 )trdodd07 Wrote:  

I used over a case of carb cleaner on mine. I think it came out to 16 cans in total. I was surprised the motor even started. I had to bust the iMap sensor out of mine, welded in with soot, it was a real mess.
replyreply
Cummins ISX -- The $36,000 soot filter. i think that is what some say anyways

And they expect us to make a living with that crap going into the intake? -- Hmmmmhp!
replyreply
Managed to get the intake cleaned as best as I could. Working on replacing the aftertreatment injector since its most liklely has never been done. Nozzle was completely covered again even after cleaning it 2 months ago. Finish cleaning up things on the passenger side and slap it all back together. Definitely time consuming, but I hope it's going to be worth it.

replyreply
07-10-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
When I did the egr tuneup, not a few weeks later I had to remove the mandate. I went back in to do what I had to do and was amazed at how quickly the soot returned. I normally only run around 70,000 miles in a year, and was thinking I would need to clean this thing out at the VERY LEAST, twice a year. If I was running some hard miles, I think a quarterly cleaning schedule would be called for. Criminal in my book, because few even know of this procedure, or the damage that is being done by not cleaning the soot out of these motors.
replyreply
07-10-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
(07-10-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  When I did the egr tuneup, not a few weeks later I had to remove the mandate. I went back in to do what I had to do and was amazed at how quickly the soot returned. I normally only run around 70,000 miles in a year, and was thinking I would need to clean this thing out at the VERY LEAST, twice a year. If I was running some hard miles, I think a quarterly cleaning schedule would be called for. Criminal in my book, because few even know of this procedure, or the damage that is being done by not cleaning the soot out of these motors.

Good to know that with it still having the mandate, I better plan on doing this way more often then. I was going to plan on once a year, but am going to do this in more frequent intervals. Trying to work a deal right now so I can remove the mandate soon though. This is a lease truck and they won't allow for any ECM mods which sucks, but at least I have learned how to maintain this engine. Makes me kind of wonder if these shops have even questioned why, or mention to the owners of these trucks, the massive amount of soot that is built up inside the head and other places, and the damage that it causes, when they are taken in for inframes, head gaskets and or replacements, etc. But, when the profit margin is so high on irrelevant repairs and parts, and keeps these trucks coming back in for more work on a constant basis... why inform shop technicians and customers. I agree...criminal practice at its best.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.