EGR Tune up results
08-09-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
RE: EGR Tune up results
(08-09-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  as a licensed cvip inspector in your home base..

i have the rules and have seen the rules up to 2020 and they CLEARLY STATE the system must have the physical appearance of stock but does not have to be tested and functioning. The reasoning behind this is that by testing its function puts the shop/tech in a tough position because they have to have the software/tools to do it (lets be honest they are not going to do that), have no way of actually testing its performance(gas testing, etc) and would make the shop somewhat liable if they break a functioning system.

this will probably never come to be part of the CVIP program, but i know it is not before atleast 2020.

I know you are, and I've been hoping you would chime in on this.
Our shop gave me the latest rules as well, so I know it is generally a fear tactic on the dealers behalf. However it is a fear tactic that works, as two of our guys have bought new trucks this year, which as you are aware of our current economic state, is probably not the best idea right now. One of them is freaking out right now as he hasn't turned a wheel in four weeks and counting! Panic sells, and some panicked people will not listen to logic.
That is why I have been sloooowly purchasing the necessary parts. I still don't have them all, and am in no rush to get them.

As far as making a shop liable if a functioning system fails while they are testing it, we both know how easily warranty claims are denied and that many (not all, some have integrity) will just say "Well it was just a matter of time before it failed, and it's your problem not ours".
A few lawsuits may create a backlash from some smaller shops, but you know as well as I do that once a regulation is put in place, it's very hard to have it overturned...and the current provincial pseudo-commie party is the type that worries me. uh em, New Carbon Tax starting soon, with diesel getting a noticeable increase...

I don't think or hope it's going to happen, but I'd rather be prepared with my own personal inventory than be stuck on back-order due to a mad rush on parts, along with a large all-at-once bill.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
08-09-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
There is a tremendous amount of fear mongering with this with this EPA/Global warming junk science.

In the mean time, we strive to be compliant and do the right thing but WHERE is it written I have to go broke keeping this junk working?
Everybody has their hand in your pocket! It's high time we start dropping the hammer on it!

NY state has "Environmental Protection Police", they're all painted up to look like state police. I had one follow me into a stop at the bottom of a long grade, in a snow storm, no lights or sirens, yet! After I backed into the dock at the local hospital he came up to the truck. As always, I am nothing but courteous and professional and greeted him and asked if there was something I could do for him.
His attitude was borderline hostile as if I was a fugitive from justice or a wanted felon!

"I saw you smoking coming down the hill and if it wasn't snowing I'd test you right here!" Really? Get a life!
(they can't test with any precipitation, know that for a fact.)

The truck had a current and legal NJ emission inspection. Was it smoke or steam? That EGR ISM did smoke, it blew 13% on an allowed 20% opacity.
(Funny, my non EGR Volvo only blew 3% on it's last inspection with 950k on the clock!)

When I informed him my smoke test was legal he took off in a huff with his shorts in a knot.

Notfernut'n (jersey speak) this S__t is facist! Designed to take out the one truck O/O, everybody's whipping boy!

Maybe, just maybe, IF there was enough margin and PROFIT in this business to shell out an extra $10k/ year would you? Hell NO when the rest of the world is spewing toxins out faster than Jersey in the 70's!

It's comin' fellas unless we draw the line!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
08-10-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
(08-09-2016 )Marajin Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 )woodwoody1 Wrote:  guess I knew that but one can always dream,was hoping something might extend cleaning intervals

I don't know that I'd be looking to extend the intervals. I've slowly been accumulating the parts to re-install the mandate as there is talk of making it a part of the annual inspection criteria in my home base. If they do, and I can't find willing participants, I intend to make this procedure a max 6 month interval. With shorter cleaning intervals, the residule buildup will be lower, making it a quicker procedure.
That, and running a better/cleaner burning "compliant" tune should help reduce the overall greif factor...IMHO.

I have seen emissions inspection reports that show better numbers with MM than stock, even with the stuff removed. - I think it just depends on how they are going to test it.

thanks again but what is meant by the mandate, every 250000 remove and clean?i do not know what is meant by the mandate
replyreply
08-10-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
(08-10-2016 )woodwoody1 Wrote:  thanks again but what is meant by the mandate, every 250000 remove and clean?i do not know what is meant by the mandate

In the rules of the forum,.. read the section ...

MESSAGE FROM THE ADMIN: -- it explains what "Mandate" means.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...d=27#pid27

and "MM" is a program for your engine that replaces the factory program. It is the only program that when in stalled correctly runs the engine so well the oil does not turn black any more.

of course it is not legal to run this program in the usa or canada but in other countries it is
replyreply
08-14-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
I did mine today. Hoping to see results this week. Only problem I had was one of the bolts holding the ventury tube to the intake broke off. Took about 2 hours of drilling and torching to finally get it out. Remember to put anti seize on those bolts guys, it will save you a ton of money and time in the long run.

User's Signature: I don't know sh!t from shinola!
replyreply
08-14-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
Best way I have found to remove broken bolts is drill a whole through it then take the welder and weld it up then place a nut on the out side and weld it to it. Let it cool ALL the way down and then remove it. Now most of the time in those pipes someone cross threads it and thats why it dont want to come out.
replyreply
08-15-2016, (Subject: EGR Tune up results ) 
I think it more to do with the corrosion factor of the 2 different types of metal. The anti seize I'm hoping will help for the next time.

User's Signature: I don't know sh!t from shinola!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.