Oil change interval after internal work
03-31-2020, (Subject: Oil change interval after internal work ) 
Oil change interval after internal work
Hey guys, I just finished doing rods and mains, piston cooling nozzles, and the oil pump. Today I did an overhead.

I am going to put my old oil back in the motor because it only had 10,000 on it when I drained it.

What is the shortest distance I should run before I can drain the oil?? Would 320 miles be sufficient , or do I have to run it longer?? 320 miles would be very convenient.

Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Oil change interval after internal work
Don't put that oil back in, oil is cheap just put fresh stuff in. You just did all that work and now you want to take the chance of running dirt and grit through your new bearings??

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Roysbigtoys
(03-31-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Don't put that oil back in, oil is cheap just put fresh stuff in. You just did all that work and now you want to take the chance of running dirt and grit through your new bearings??

Unless the oil oil is already due to be changed, is jet-black, etc, or has gotten contaminated with coolant or something else, ... I will typically use the old oil and put it back in. - I do however filter it properly it as it goes back. - I then drive it to the nearest oil change place. Usually drive it about 50 miles or so to get it hot, then have it changed. It all depends on the circumstances. Nothing I have ever found wrong with using the old that comes out as long as it has not gotten contaminated, is not worn out yet, as it can be used to flush the the assy lube, brake cleaner and other residues, etc.

I would think that 300 miles would not make much difference vs, say 50 miles unless you used a lot of harsh chemicals. Just have to make darn sure your old oil has not gotten contaminated + proper filtration as it goes back in, etc. if you are going to re-use it.

The oil was already running in the engine,.. putting it into a clean container, then pumping it back in thru a filter medium should not make much difference if there was nothing wrong with it to begin with.

if unsure though,.. Like tree98 said,... oil is cheap compared to having problems ... get some new oil and change it again second time in a few hundred miles or less to flush the system out if you have no way to filter it properly or if you think it could be contaminated in any way. - Not flushing it out a second time can be bad for gaskets, etc... if a lot of brake cleaner and harsh chems were used during the repairs.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Roysbigtoys
Thanks for the replies guys. The oil still looks and smells brand new, I usually change it at 15K and this I pulled at 10K and put it into fresh storage buckets that seal very tightly. Rawze what sort of filter do you use when you pump it back in?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
04-01-2020, (Subject: Oil change interval after internal work ) 
I hope you cleaned the bottom of your oil pan around the drain plug really well with brake cleaner before you drained that oil. If not it's contaminated, never would re using oil cross my mind, but that's just me.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Tree98, I drained it through my fumoto valve. Yes it was nice and clean. I hadn't really thought about it either until I watched the rods and mains video that Razwe did with Wildpib. On the video Rawze mentioned that was what they were going to do. I think it will be a good fit for my current situation, but it may not be right for all. I will refill and make one trip to town and back 160 miles round trip, instead of the 320, two trips, that I was planning. Then fresh oil and filter!

replyreply
Rawze, what kind of filter do you use going back in with the old oil? Just curious, I am putting together a contraption for pumping back in now. Thanks

replyreply
04-02-2020, (Subject: Oil change interval after internal work ) 
(04-01-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  Rawze, what kind of filter do you use going back in with the old oil? Just curious, I am putting together a contraption for pumping back in now. Thanks

I use a pump w an inline oil filter. had hoses and filter made up for the pump at a local hydraulic shop.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.