Cm 870 head being replaced
04-05-2020, (Subject: Cm 870 head being replaced ) 
RE: Cm 870 head being replaced
(04-04-2020 )Signature620 Wrote:  You say that you disagree but then go on to make almost the exact same point in a lot more words. If you re-read the section your quoted me on, I imply that good maintenance and demandates make ISXs much more reliable.

There's no doubt Rawze and his wife have excellent driving habits but that engine would still give a lot of trouble if left in factory form.

I do agree that good maintenance and a demandate can help improve the reliability of the ISX (and any engine). But the statement I quoted said that "they are horribly unreliable without extensive maintenance". I contend that with regular, normal maintenance they can be just as reliable as any other properly maintained engine. The first paragraph I agree with and the final paragraph I have no personal knowledge about.

My argument, which as usual rambled on, was simply that people (society) have, by and large, become lazy. We expect our products to last forever while we do little to nothing to maintain them. It's apparent in all aspects of our disposable society. Then, we jump on "The Internet" and complain about how our beloved products no longer last like they used to. If we, as a society, simply took the time to properly learn about and maintain our products and equipment then most of those problems would go away. (Yes, my argument ignores the fact that many products are no longer made to be serviced, but in the context of this conversation that aspect doesn't apply).

I'm not terribly old, however I do remember when those lights on the dash were collectively referred to as "Idiot Lights". In the context of this discussion, I think that term sums up the point.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
I do believe the old fellow who retired soon after my inframe 5 yrs ago did a good job on my engine, he wasn't Cummins certified either go figure. People said he was pretty good. The head failed causing fuel in coolant. 5 yrs 270000 km and I don't know how many engine hrs from 4-6 hrs each day on blower PTO and it was relatively problem free with no evidence of the gasket failing, no fuel or coolant in oil. Not sure why head would crack if it's just a wear issue at injectors or something wrong with installation originally or maybe coolant should have been flushed earlier? Not sure? I thank you guys for the advise on this truly a valuable resourse for Cummins owners. Can anyone recommend an engine shop in southern Ontario Canada? Thanks again!
replyreply
(04-04-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Go-to truck paper search for trucks 2011-2017 with Cummins these will all be cm2250 and 2350s almost 30-40% of them will say they have had a bottom end rebuild by 400k miles for oil consumption or sunk liners. Or the truck has a reman engine. So the big C is not building them to last. I blame the stock market as the requirement to constantly increase profits now promotes poor quality.

Exactly why I've decided to just fix my truck instead of used upgrade truck. I wss seeing so many that stated rebuilt motor etc etc that I began to wonder at paying $50-70k for the truck plus inframe! Might as well inframe the paid for one and continue.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.