Cm 870 head being replaced
04-03-2020, (Subject: Cm 870 head being replaced ) 
RE: Cm 870 head being replaced
(04-02-2020 )Craag Wrote:  Thanks guys. Wow wrong parts on an inframe? That is crazy. It's sad because you see the stealershit has Cummins certified signs up and your first instinct is to trust their "expertise." I got this gut feeling of dread when they started arguing about the .014" liner protrusion. They are pretty deep into it now though....
They just called me now as i was typing this and they have the head off and the linings are all at .009 to .010" and another inframe not needed. There's a surprise that they said that.
Is there better maintenance I could be doing to help this head and motor last? I do oil changes now by engine hour at 350 to 400 as my monthly mileage is low and PTO hours high. Maybe i should go 300 hrs? What about coolant flush how often should that be done? Cleaning the egr out? I hate to be "that guy" but considering I had the inframe of $30k done such a relatively short time ago it seems financially insane to delve into it again over .0004 to .0005". This is by no means doubting that it should be done to those 0014" specs. Just seems like a redundant and huge expense if the truck is running strong and the only issue is the head.

Mr this was me 101,280 miles ago after fixing a cummins certified rebuild where they used the wrong rod and main bearings. They said my low oil pressure was normal on a cummins. At idle it had 8 psi and at 1500 rpm it had best at 22psi. It took me close to $14,000 or more mostly in labor to fix the “certified cummins” f$%k up. I should have listened more to these guys then.

At a little over 100,000 miles later the crank snapped. Pulled the head while I had the motor out and found #2#3#4#5 liners sqirmimg in the block. # 2 was the worst and head gasket was already failing and #3 wasn’t much better. #2 and 3 liner had already ruined the head.

If I was you and you already have the head off it’s ruffly $1600 plus gaskets and a tow bill to take it somewhere else , get the block cut and your liners set right.

If you don’t you will be back with the head off again soon, so yeah just leave those cylinders at 0.008-0.009.

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Craag

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cm 870 head being replaced - Peashooter67 - 04-03-2020
RE: Cm 870 head being replaced - Unilevers - 04-02-2020,
RE: Cm 870 head being replaced - Unilevers - 04-03-2020,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.