spn157 fmi 18
04-06-2020, (Subject: spn157 fmi 18 ) 
spn157 fmi 18
hey guys, darn nightmare code is back , mr hagg did my fuel pump update at 336,000 demandate, now im at 977,000 and she is setting this code again, by again i mean its been ongoing for a year or so , but usually when cleared it stays off , now its every 400 miles or so with no real running issues, fuel filters are new and correct, also new rail pressure sensor , also pretty rough to start after pm, had to use ether to get her running this last pm, any ideas?? before i drop her off at mr haggs place , he is amazing , but way busy and super far from home gonna have time to spare with this virus shutting me down, so i can try some stuff or drop her off in georgia on the way home .
replyreply
RE: spn157 fmi 18
well your only almost 300,000miles past where you should have rebuilt the pump. you can either keep driving it and dynamite the engine making it worthless as that pump will shi#t its guts through it like a shrapnel shell or rebuild it and make it last until your inframe if this is a 2250 or 2350. the internals of the fuel pump are extremely questionable anywhere past 400,000 miles

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
your fuel pump guts should have been replaced again (for second time) at 750k to prevent it grenading the entire engine. - Fuel pump guts should be replaced every 400k miles or so on common rail model engines. -> .. Given that you have 970k on the truck and 640k on the pump, I hope that is not your issue.

- Also if you wouold have shut the truck down at the 750k~ish mark, did the fuel pump,.. and also did the rod-main bearings, crank shaft damper, etc.. you would have had nothing to worry about whatsoever as the engine crosses a million miles. However, since you neglected it ... NOW your going to have to overhaul that engine at a million,.. maybe a million.1 at very most to avoid sending a piston through the block with no warning due to accelerated wrist pin wear because no one bothered to put new rod/main bearings in it at roughly 800k miles.

-- Would,.. shoulda,.. coulda... always costs you more money than if you had done the right things when they were due. As that thing approaches its next year of operations and crosses into the million mile range, it now will become a ticking time bomb waiting to completely destroy itself with zero warning.

===============
-- Start by doing a rail leak-down test and see if it passes...

And while your at it, make plans to replace the guts of the fuel pump, pray that is not your problem.

You should also absolutely be saving your money up at this point like mad towards an inframe by the end of next year at the latest, unless you are one to drive it hard + if it has more than 500hp ,... because if that is the case, you should go ahead and shut it down now and inframe it as a preventative measure, count your blessings so far with it.

just some thoughts. No one on here wants to see your next problem be that a piston went through the block without any warning.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
wow no kiddin, yea like i said the guts were during demandate, could have used the insite on the whole pump guts thing every 400,000 or so , never heard that before, just to do it before the oe ceramics went balistic was what i was told , inframe questions asked of mr hagg and he said run her , till she gives me running issues etc. im headed to fla. so i can do the fuel pump again when i get there no problem , guess ill hope for the best
replyreply
You've been a member for 3 years that info has probably been posted on here 1000s of times in that time frame.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
yea guess i just never saw it , plus had the cam and dampner replaced at 700 and no mention then either , just never knew, well anyways , fingers crossed , i make it home to do the fuel pump top end and see how it goes , not knowing is never a good reason , just i learned a lesson not to depend on others to keep up with what i should have done , sux ... and for sure i baby the old girl , 14000 pm w,/ gear oil added etc, and its never been about monies, ive been a tech most of my life so , pm is on top of my list
replyreply
(04-06-2020 )Breeze Wrote:  yea guess i just never saw it , plus had the cam and dampner replaced at 700 and no mention then either , just never knew, well anyways , fingers crossed , i make it home to do the fuel pump top end and see how it goes , not knowing is never a good reason , just i learned a lesson not to depend on others to keep up with what i should have done , sux ... and for sure i baby the old girl , 14000 pm w,/ gear oil added etc, and its never been about monies, ive been a tech most of my life so , pm is on top of my list

if you have been driving it light, then you should be able to get another year out of it from what I have seen on others that have been opened up recently. I would not push it past 1.1mil though no matter what since the rod/mains were not done @ 800k.

Like said, hopefully it is a rail pressure issue and not the pump going out.

Still,.. it is pretty impressive you made it 970+k with that common rail engine. Seems to be the third testament this month alone about how well a decent de-mandate program helps the longevity of the engine rather then shorten it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
yep , jerry does amazing work, keeps telling me ( hows she runnin?? Then keep them wheels turnin) he only agreed to my in frame because the front gear housing gasket started leaking, no other issues at all, seems i remember watchin a 99 part engine rebuild u tube series at 999,000 , isx with no wear , any ways I watched your fuel pressure leak down video, wouldnt an injector leaking that much cause exessive smoke on start up?? fuel pump parts are at the house, any link on how to test injectors for leakage individualy , and other rail parts would be way helpful , saw the one you sent me , thanks way helpful but it leaves out tests for all the other componants ....clint
replyreply
04-07-2020, (Subject: spn157 fmi 18 ) 
testing single injectors requires some special fittings that can plug off other injectors, on here somewhere is the way to check the pressure regulator, and another check of some other pressure item on the fuel rail its all on the site here somewhere i havent bookmarked em as i dont have a common rail....yet.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.