How to read coolant test strips
04-06-2020, (Subject: How to read coolant test strips ) 
How to read coolant test strips
Like it says I am not smart enough to read the results of my coolant test strip.

I look to have plenty of freeze protection.

Now the other two are a tan color. I don't see a tan color as being an option.

I got my sample from the lower radiator hose. Kenworth was nice enough to put a drain valve. Let some coolant run out then caught my sample.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
RE: How to read coolant test strips
here are instructions...
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/...T15626.pdf

according to the pic you posted, your moly (middle section) is at row 1.5~ish and your nitrate (bottom of strip in the pic) is somewhere between a and b. - This puts your reading at "Below Normal" and you need additives pretty badly.

For references ... My coolant tests usually end up with a mostly purple~ish result on that bottom row.

{Now back to my gin martini and olives while I watch the world fall apart around me.lol}

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , snailexpress
Thanks.

My strip was so far off the colors I didn't know what to think. I will get me some additive or may just drain and refill with new coolant.

replyreply
FYI,

Cummins dealers sell the red coolant in bulk. All u have to do is bring MT gallon jugs. Here in ILLINOIS its $8.00 a gallon.
replyreply
04-07-2020, (Subject: How to read coolant test strips ) 
(04-06-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  Thanks.

My strip was so far off the colors I didn't know what to think. I will get me some additive or may just drain and refill with new coolant.

make sure your coolant test strip is not expired. There is always expiry date somewhere on the strip, bottle, or packaging somewhere. - I always ask to look at expiry date before purchase, most the fools at the truck supply houses have no ideah they expire. Seen one at Pete one time that was expired by 4 years.lol They do have expiry dates on them and will read something whacky if they are really old.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
Also, per the instructions, you need to check the results within "75 seconds". Perhaps the colors continued to shift after that time making it harder to identify on the chart?

it also says, in my own words, to use Price Is Right rules and pick the closest matching pad without going over.

... I tell you, if more things were explained based on Price Is Right rules, then the world would be an easier place!

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress
My test strips are good till October.
The test strips are a crude way to test in my opinion, but it is quick and easy to do.

I drained my coolant. Removed coolant filter I just put on and poured it out. Reused coolant filter because I didn't have another one. Put 12 gallons of 50/50 coolant back in. Needs about another half gallon to get to Max cold level. 12 gallons cost me $92 at local oil supplier.

Now my coolant shows purple on the strip. May not be as good as a flushing and all that but sure it is better than what I had before.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT
When draining/refilling like this do you still need to use a vacuum on refill? Also, about how low can you drain the coolant before you hit the point where a vacuum fill is needed?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
04-25-2020, (Subject: How to read coolant test strips ) 
(04-07-2020 )JimT Wrote:  When draining/refilling like this do you still need to use a vacuum on refill? Also, about how low can you drain the coolant before you hit the point where a vacuum fill is needed?

Hey Jim T just seen your question.

I drained mine till coolant quit coming out. Poured about 11 gallons in then started truck and let it run. Keep adding coolant till it got over the cold full Mark.
Let it sit overnight and it had dropped below add mark. Filled it back up. Figure I put in about 13 gallons total. I don't have one of the vacuum sucker things.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.