As a company driver, what driving habits should I develop before buying my own truck?
04-11-2020, (Subject: As a company driver, what driving habits should I develop before buying my own truck? ) 
As a company driver, what driving habits should I develop before buying my own truck?
I went through CDL training in December and have been on my own since mid February and would like to explain some of my driving habits and how you guys think I could improve. I want to lease a truck in August and drive for my company as a lease operator for about a year or so but I just want to ensure that I become an efficient driver first.

I drive a 2017 Pro Star with a Cummins. I’m not sure what model. It has an Eaton 10 Speed. It’s governed at 65mph and it also seems to have a governor on the tach because the truck also stops spraying fuel above 1500 RPM.

I always start in 3rd gear and shift at around 1400 RPM. I’ve tried progressive shifting but every time I’m loaded and pop it into neutral under 1400 RPM it just sounds like the transmission has imploded so I stopped even attempting to progressive shift.

I cruise down the highway at around 1250-1300 RPM running 62-63mph.

When pulling hills I always keep it at about 50% throttle and downshift at around 1000 RPM. I’be tried downshifting earlier but it’s governed at 1500RPM so it’s pointless. I’m working with a range of 900-1500 RPM. So I try not to pedal to the metal dog it up mountains just to get up it maybe a tenth or two mile quicker than just holding a steady 50% throttle.

I used to just let it coast down hill up to 73 or so mph but recently I’ve been using engine braking to keep it under the governed 65mph and it seems to improve my fuel mpg and give me better momentum going up a hill rather than coasting halfway up the hill above the governed speed and then it was like hitting a brick wall.

I’m not really sure how to drive these trucks to be honest. My company didn’t go over how to drive they just cared about not hitting anything.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
As a company driver, what driving habits should I develop before buying my own truck? - ChrisP94 - 04-11-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.