2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts
04-27-2020, (Subject: 2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts ) 
RE: 2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts
My Mechanic had the parts in stock.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
Kozakvod how many miles on yours?

I really didn't understand the mileage from the first post. Your fuel pump head isn't red so I would assume it had been replaced sometime in it's life.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
(04-27-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  Kozakvod how many miles on yours?

I really didn't understand the mileage from the first post. Your fuel pump head isn't red so I would assume it had been replaced sometime in it's life.

We bought the truck with 400k, currently pushing 600k. At just over 200k records show that ceramic plungers took out the engine and it was rebuilt under warranty.

It doesn’t quite have 400k since last fuel pump rebuild/replacement, but I had the time and I figure by the time it’s time to rebuild again I either won’t have the truck or hopefully it will have made it to a million and I will inframe it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Rawze , Mattman , snailexpress
04-29-2020, (Subject: 2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts ) 
kozakvod - Thank you for posting about the parts availability. Not sure what was going on last year when I did mine, but I def couldn't get just the tappet/pump without purchasing a head assembly. Glad you were able to and that info certainly helps anyone in the future when rebuilding the pump.

--- maybe last year Cummins had too much demand on those items and saw it as an opportunity to sell the head assemblies ....who knows?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
04-29-2020, (Subject: 2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts ) 
(04-29-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  kozakvod - Thank you for posting about the parts availability. Not sure what was going on last year when I did mine, but I def couldn't get just the tappet/pump without purchasing a head assembly. Glad you were able to and that info certainly helps anyone in the future when rebuilding the pump.

--- maybe last year Cummins had too much demand on those items and saw it as an opportunity to sell the head assemblies ....who knows?
Purchasing head assembly probably not bad idea as check valves in the head going bad too by the time. I have just replaced fuel pump, rollers, tappets, camshaft, plungers were in perfect shape but pressure was leaking. With new pump pressure stays for hours.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker , hhow55 , Mr Hagg
04-30-2020, (Subject: 2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts ) 
^^ --- Good info. I changed my rollers and inspected everything else while I was in there last year (@about 270k ish). I purchased the head assembly a few months back and will be replacing it here shortly (most likely at about 375k).

- I like the idea of having the new assembly, although I wasn't aware of the check valve issues. It's a little pricey, but IMO it will give me a chance to get back in and inspect the rollers/cam once more. Besides, I'd be curious to know how many people get the install of the plunger assemblies wrong...looks like Cummins has a very specific procedure which requires some serious torque.
replyreply
04-30-2020, (Subject: 2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts ) 
(04-30-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  ^^ --- Good info. I changed my rollers and inspected everything else while I was in there last year (@about 270k ish). I purchased the head assembly a few months back and will be replacing it here shortly (most likely at about 375k).

- I like the idea of having the new assembly, although I wasn't aware of the check valve issues. It's a little pricey, but IMO it will give me a chance to get back in and inspect the rollers/cam once more. Besides, I'd be curious to know how many people get the install of the plunger assemblies wrong...looks like Cummins has a very specific procedure which requires some serious torque.

Absolutely need a good vice and an even better secured vice. That 60# torque is easy, but you really have to get some muscle into it for that final 60 deg’s.
replyreply
05-01-2020, (Subject: 2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Parts ) 
(04-29-2020 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(04-29-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  kozakvod - Thank you for posting about the parts availability. Not sure what was going on last year when I did mine, but I def couldn't get just the tappet/pump without purchasing a head assembly. Glad you were able to and that info certainly helps anyone in the future when rebuilding the pump.

Purchasing head assembly probably not bad idea as check valves in the head going bad too by the time. I have just replaced fuel pump, rollers, tappets, camshaft, plungers were in perfect shape but pressure was leaking. With new pump pressure stays for hours.

The reason for rebuilding pump head is to prevent catastrophic engine failure. I wasn't having a pressure problem. Maybe I'll have one eventually, but to spend $1,500+ vs. $440 to fix a problem I didn't have didn't make much sense to me in a bad market we have currently.

Of course having it all repaired/replaced/rebuilt would be great I don't deny that, but again, my reason was prevention not repair.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.